Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Rattle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Proxy6969, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Proxy6969

Proxy6969 Registered Member

welp heres my problem.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif drives fine up till i get to about 45 to 50(cant tell speedometer dont work hehe) anyways the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif starts to vibrate really really bad i call it the death rattle i have to slow down to about 20 for it to stop before i can start to accelerate again anyone know wat may be causing this...

2. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

unfortunately vibrations can be caused by a lot (read at least 20) different things. could be ur driveshaft threw its weight. could be u-joints. could be suttin in the tranny. etc, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif even more unfortunate is the process of tryin to differentiate between driveshaft, tranny, wheels, stuff like that. i would start with the driveshaft as its the one i would think would start vibrating at a certain speed. i wish i could help more. but without takin a ride or gettin more info its really ahrd to start guessin. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

do a search for death wobble.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    do a search for death wobble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe his isn't the death wobble, but he could read those posts and see if anything resembles his situation.
    Another thing to consider is brake rotors, if they are warped they do that and not always when braking.
    But you should be able to tell if it's from the front or middle of the truck or the back.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

check your u-joints have your tires balanced and also check your wheel bearings and also check your u-bolts to make sure they are tight

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same problem here between 55-65
    -checked wheels/balanced rotated
    -checked u-joints
    -looked over drive shafts for marks of a missing weight/s
    -popped dif covers looking for something wrong, refilled with fresh oil and limited slip additive for the rear.
    -added coilover steering stabilizer

Still vibs
    still klanks on acceleration
    still pops on deceleration
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chevy4x4boy

chevy4x4boy Registered Member

check the front kingpins. my dad's truck wobbled like anything at a certain speed and the suspension guys said that they were loose or had too much slack in them.

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

What about the ball joints and tie rod ends? Are there cracks in the frame at the steering box?
    Can you give a little more detail about your truck ... mods, axle type, etc. If not in this post then in you profile.

9. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I had that problem, it also did it while braking, turned out to be the rotors were warped, replaced with a new pair and that took care of it..

10. Proxy6969

Proxy6969 Registered Member

welp truck is 75 k5 blazer....fully stock so axles are wat 12bolt rear 10front? anyways i just put in a new np203 trasnfer case and only got my rear driveshaft in and i know its fine and tight so i can rule that one out...but when the death rattle starts it starts in the front passanger side then moves to driver then whole truck starts im going to get wheels rebalanced and everything soon so that might just be it. and ill be putting new brakes all around soon cause they suck atm and when i do that ill check everything out..its hard for me to do much on road testing since my truck is like 60% illegal atm hehe anyways tks for some tips to check ill check em tomorrow

11. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Another thing you can check is your U-bolts. My buddy has a Scout II and did an axle swap on it. Retorqued the bolts some time later. But a few months after that they where seriously loose. Everytime he would hit a bump in the road he would crap his pants. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You could see the springs moving on the pirches by rocking the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

berg