Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Ride to work this mornin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thunder, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Got up this mornin and it was snowing again. So I took my K5 to work. I have a 20 mile drive on the interstate usually thru light traffic.
    Got out on the highway and it was solid shiny ice. It was slicker than.... well..... you know. Figgured it would be a slow drive to work. No sooner got on the freeway and came up on the first wreck (rollover). Looked down the highway and all I could see was flashing lights.
    In 20 miles there were 8 wrecked rigs ALL 4X4s. No cars
    Carnage list:
    New Ford 4x4 crew cab (rolled)
    80? Blazer (rolled) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Full size Bronco (rolled)
    2 Pickup trucks (rolled) All I could see was their undersides.I'm sure one of these trucks had passed me eariler. I stopped for these guys since they were close together(must have been racin each other) and I was the first to come up on them. People there said everything was ok and there was a cop just down the road anyhow.
    Dodge Ram towing a big utility trailer (rolled).The contents truck and trailer full of hunting stuff and ATVs scattered all over the freeway. WTF the guy was doing towing a load like that on solid sheet ice I just cant figgure out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    2 other SUVs that just slid off the road and took a little ride thru the rocks and sage, but didn't roll over
    I just dont under stand the mentality of some people who own 4x4s. All those trucks wrecked because they wouldn't slow down when things got crappy. After all the 75 mph speed limit is only for when the weather is good.Right? When the road is bad GO Faster. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Glad I wasn't in the way.
    Me and the K5 made it thru the carnage with no problems.Took it slow an easy and kept away from everyone else. Even though I have a locked rear end I had no problems. I think I even perfer a locker in the ice and snow. It is fine as long as I dont nail the gas going around a corner. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    And winter is just getting started around here.
    Be careful out there everyone! Fools are everywhere! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

"If I just had a brain" stickers might be in order for those people. Yep, 4x4's are nice but you need to use common driving sense regardless of what you are driving. Unfortunately as you know, that is lacking in lots of people.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wow, next time bring a video camera for real TV or something.. lol i woulda liked to see all that

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i guess what the enviro-wackos say about suv drivers is true... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well i dont see why people dirve like they do in winter, its kinda dumb. I dont realy have simpathy for those people and even less if they have grown up whith winter. Alot of dumb people out there i guess /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, i hear you. 4 wheel drive helps you get moving on skick pavement, but thats about it. You still only have small patches of rubber hitting the ground, no matter what you drive. Last season i was in a snow storm and got passed by a grand-am wiht chains. I just sat back and laughed as he passes, and sure enough, about a mile ahead, we passed him after he spun into a bank.

Everyone on teh road should be required to "play around" with their vehicle on a nice sheet of ice/snow, maybe a parking lot or something. After you've done that, you really realize just how little traction you actually have.

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yup thats wht i did right after i had my license. My dad took my to an open parkinglot at night and let me play around to see how to keep control while swerving anf braking and also how to regain controll and what to expect. I realy think everyone should do this whith every rig they have thatway they can be a bit safer come winter.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly like this guy I was talkin to in class the other day. We have a nice sheet of ice on everything and he lives on a farm a few miles out of town. He was telling me how he was driving 70mph because he has 4wd. I was like you idiot 4x4 doesn't help you stop!

9. jekbrown

yeah, i havent drivin my rig enuff on ice (mainly cause we dont get any here). If we get a REAL good freeze and its icy, Im gonna go to a big school parking lot and play for a while both with and without chains. its ALWAYS a good thing to a) know your rigs capabilities in differing terrain and b) improve your driving skills.

j

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I actually got a chance to do a driving school on ice back in '98. It was actually the school where I got my CDL but they had us driving our own vehicles on the ice first. As much fun as that was and learning to control them better it was nothing compared to doing it with a Kenworth and 48 foot trailer.

I learned a lot from that course and totally agree, everybody needs to do something similar in order to learn how to better control their vehicles in the winter.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4x4's may get better traction and corner a little better in the snow, but it take them longer to stop given a certain speed due to greater mass.....people just don't seem to use common sense.

Also, how many idiots do you see driving in crappy weather on bald or almost bald tires (it's amazing how much people don't think). They try to save a buck and sometimes cost others and themselves their lives....

Sorry, sore subject with me.

12. jekbrown

great point... i dont care if ur mario andretti and u have the most capable rig ever.. if ur on ice in racing-slick-like bald tires, bad things are gonna happen!!

j

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

another thing i see here in spokane alot, people get studded snow tires when winter hits alot(me i dont see the reason, i just have a good set of A/T tires for my luv for bad weather) and in about 99% of colisions they involve someone whith a 4x4, studded snows, or both. Its simply amazing to me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i saw a bumper sticker that said-STUPID SHOULD BE PAINFULL-people like that are the reason we have warning stickers on everything.those dopes that speed on ice are the same people that think off-road is the gravel shoulder.lets see them take their junk out in the woods,hell my wheelbarrow has more aggresive tread than half of their tires.i remember back in 87 we had a bad ice storm and i was going to work, i had 40inch tires and i was going about 15 miles an hour and still could hardly keep it in the lane. people were flying past me(no dought calling me a p***y)then i start seeing them slide and smash and i'm thinking if you idiots hit me i'll kill you. i ended up driving on the snow on the shoulder,the only place i could get traction.ever since then on bad snow days i take a vacation day,i don't want my truck smashed because of someone else /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

come on you all know that with 4 wheel drive and abs you can drive at posted speeds (or faster) in any weather. I think Im gonna just drive around every time it snows and yank people out of ditchs for $20 a pop, ill be rich.

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

the other thing peole dont realize, is that on ice, if you turn and accelerate, you dont just loose rear wheel traction, your front end breaks free too! i hate driving in the winter arround here, people drive like a bunch of idiots. last year, on my way to work, the road was drifted over and icy underneath. it was about 40mph winds, and my toyota was being blown all over the place. i was only doing about 35 in a 55, and a chevy 3500 4x4 extended cab deally comes flying up behind me, he honks his horn, flashes his lights at me, and i wave him by. he goes flying past me, and as he flicks me off, looses it. i almost hit him as he goes careening out of control off the road. man was that guy appologetic when i pulled over, got out of my truck, and ran down to him to make sure he was alright. then helped dig and pull him up and out of the cornfield he was in.

people do need to take a class. they think that bad weather doesnt effect their vehicle, when it not only affects theirs, but the people they take out with them.

17. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    another thing i see here in spokane alot, people get studded snow tires when winter hits alot(me i dont see the reason, i just have a good set of A/T tires for my luv for bad weather)

[/ QUOTE ]

studded tires are a good thing. my mom puts 'em on her minivan every winter and in icy conditions they definitely help.

[ QUOTE ]
    and in about 99% of colisions they involve someone whith a 4x4, studded snows, or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

lets not confuse driver stupidity for accessory capability.

j

18. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Intersection Ice on Otherwise Dry Roads.

Here in the South, when we get ice storms, the cities shut down. Still interesting to watch.

What gets to me is the service stations/convenience stores that water their little strip of grass next to the road at the intersections. In the early mornings, at or near freezing, guess what ...... Bingo. You have dry streets until you come to the red light, put on the brakes and slide on the ice created by the sprinklers, right into the rear of the car or whatever in front of you, if it was unlucky enough to have been able to stop. See it happen /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifalmost everytime it freezes.

BH.

19. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Maybe we should look at the bright side, good source for parts trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

you guys are lucky as hell to get ice and snow I miss wheeling in it so much besides rockcrawling snow is my favorite type of wheeling. if you need more traction on the icy pavement just air your tires down some not like you would for the sand but just enough to make them flex a little more it will double your traction and stopping power.