Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble and steering gear boxs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by POWERMAD, Nov 15, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

My 2x4 burb has it real bad, bad enough that the ol lady won't drive it.
    I raised it up and the wheel bearings are a little loose so I cinched them back down.
    But the gear box has alot of slop in it, the sector shaft has enough play in it that the wheels have about 1" of side to side travel.
    I backed off the jam nut and ran the adjusting bolt down untill it made contact, about 3/4 of a turn then I backed it off about an 1/8th of a turn. The box is solid now and I am off for a test run.
    The box has leaks from everywhere so it is prolly on its way out.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What I've been seeing on box adjustment is to REALLY sneak up on tightening it. Wheels off the ground for sure, the proper method of tightening them I believe involves testing how much force it takes to move the pitman arm or shaft on the bench, in in-lbs I think. Whatever the real way of testing it was, its real easy to over-tighten it. Unfortunately don't have any of that data readily accessible /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well I had to back it off some more.
    The DW is gone but it wouldn't return to center, too stiff.
    I have it at about a happy medium. there is slop again but not as much as before. I think the box is wore out and is due for a replacement.
    It does have about 220,000 miles on it.