Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Wobble continues....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DukeBoy88, Jan 7, 2005.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I purchased my basically stock M1008 last spring with death wobble, using it to talk the price down. The front springs are new, I've replaced the rubber bushings with poly and fabricated beefy shackles as well. All steering linkage components appear ok. My wobble appears when either I hit the correct combination of bumps or I apply the brakes at a medium pressure. I checked my rotors runnout at 3 locations on either side and they were within spec at each point. the brake pads showed even wear as well. I had the entire axle dissasembled when I regeared it and everything was rebuilt or replaced, and retorqued correctly. I checked my toe-in and it is set at 0. I added 1 washer to each kingpin spring (approx 1/8") and the wobble reduced. I added 2 washers and death wobble was eliminated, absolutly eliminated, but my steering was all over the road from being bound so tight. I replaced my steering gearbox and checked for any cracks, none. steering was better but still too bad. I installed replacement king pin springs and bushings, thinking that would solve it. steering is now fine and truck does handle well but death wobble is back. before I add 1 shim to my new springs I'd like suggestions of what else to check. My shocks are used rancho 5000 that appear to be in good working order, so is the steering stabilizer. My hercules 235/85-R16 tires have maybe 15,000 on them and tire wear seems fine and I've rotated them once. any suggestions will taken as helpful, thanks in advance.

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your tie rods i had one wear out on me when i hit a bump you better hang on just an idea.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have DW on my D60 and it is completely new (king pins, TRE's, bearings, rotors, studs) I could not get rid of it. I had to put on a stabilizer and all was fine. I ran with no stabilizer on my D44 for 3 years with no problems so I am thinking it is a D60 deal.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did you replace your kingpin springs when you replaced the bushings? You've mentioned all kinds of new parts but no kingpin springs. If you seriously haven't replaced them I'd be willing to bet that it'll solve your problem.

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Whats the best way to check for bad tie-rods? I've checked for any kind of give but they appear ok.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, he did replace his kingpin springs when he rebuilt his D60. I helped him do the rebuilding. Everything has been rebuilt on his truck including new brakes and such. The only problem he may have now is a couple slight bends in the tierod. We figured out that the D60 is ver sensitive to the Toe adjustment.

Harley

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i also have a death wobble but only with my steel wheels the alum ones are fine but i do have a slight bend in the tie rod and nothing is rebuilt yet

willow

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

what he said!:D

mine was fully tore down and rebuilt...then the wobble! man hitting a speed bump was hell! A new steering stab solved my issues. I never used the washer trick though, that was next on my list, but the stabalizer worked. They are 20 bucks at auto zone for the factory app one. K5redneck and I swapped mine in at 2 in the morning in the 24 hour Auto Zone's parking lot!:rotfl:

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I had it bad so I toe in the tires and it helped greatly

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I was going to suggest a touch of toe in would help. that and a steering stab and all should be well. If you get online and search out the specs for the kingpin springs you could probably find something with very similar specs just a touch heavier and longer.

11. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I had given it some toe-in before I replaced the kingpin springs without much difference but I'll try again. It currently has a rancho steering stabilizer that seems to be doing its job, I have a double setup I could install to see if it helps. I always thought that was sort of covering up the problem. But if AZ-K5 has it on a new D60 thats puzzling.

since I'm running stock springs and small tires I'm not pushing the components to do anything they weren't designed for so I still believe there is something that needs fixed, I'll keep looking and thanks for the suggestions.

12. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i havent figured mine out yet either but i think it may be a slightly bent wheel and need of a new tierod and alignment sure as sH#t i say it dont happen with my alum wheels and the next day i feel it only not as bad as with the steel wheels im looking twards a complete rebuld of the d60 this spring though

willow