Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Wobble In Front Passenger Tire

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I've got a big problem. My front passenger tire goes into wobble at 30-40mph after hitting a large pothole or bump. It wobbles just like you are steering it back and forth quickly. To maintain control I have to slow right down. Here the stats: stock 10 bolts, 4" lift, single Skyjacker Hydro for each wheel, dual steering stabalizer, 38.5/15.5/r15 Ground Hawgs. The balljoints were replaced last weekend, didn't really help. We checked the tie-rods & shocks are good. Leaf springs are tight. The only thing we found play in was the steering. I am able to turn the wheel 1/8 of a turn before the tires turn. This play in the wheel is not new and didn't create a problem with my 35" BFG I took off 3 weeks ago. Is the steering box toasted? I would like to hear from other guys that have had the same problem.
    Thanks ahead of time for your help.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

with anyhting over 36, IMHO, you need crossover steering. this will help eliminate bumpsteer and it sounds like you have a nasty case of it right now. The thing that is gonna cost a bit more is converting the 10b to x-over.

Also a dual stabelizer might help hide the problem a bit.

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i had that with my 35s and i check my wheel bearing, and it was busted.
    replaced the inner and outer wheel bearing and it was fine.
    it took some time, but only cost like 20 for the bearings.
    u will need a wheel lock nut remover that attaches to a ratchet, they sell em at adv auto parts for 10$

4. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I don't think it is the wheel bearings. I repacked them last weekend when the ball joints were done. They looked okay. I am running dual skyjacker steering stabalizers which are okay. I have the swaybar connected with swaybar dissconnects.From reading other post about dw I'm thinking it is either the steering box or a cracked frame. I get the mud off it and check it out.
    Thanks for your ideas.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the Passenger's side tire is truelly wobbling and the tierod is not worn out, the wobble should be transmitted to the Driver's side tire as well. I would suspect out of balance, poor alignment, worn tie-rod, worn ball joints or a combination thereof. You have already ruled out a few of those, so I would check the others....it never hurts to check.