Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death wobble on acceleration

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by The85k5, May 16, 2002.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

I already posted this in the 73-91 forum but i need help ! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Okay today i was driving along....and some dumb jetta trys to cut me off, so i floor it and get up to about 65....this is on a straight street and afte that from about 25 mph up....(i've only gone up to 50) it wobbles like crazy but only when i'm on the gas! it will start wobbleing even if i barely have my foot on the peddle....any idea's???? it sux having a daily driver that u always gotta work on!

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I had somethin almost exactly like that happen to me just the other day. It turned out to be an almost busted u-joint on the t-case end of the rear shaft. When I got home and started checking to see if I could figure out what the vibe was, I grabbed the drive line, and it had about a 1/2' of play!! It trashed the yoke too. Not sayin this is what's wrong with your rig, but one thing to keep in mind. Also maybe ball joints or wheel bearings. Hmm, What else.....tie rod ends? Steering box loose or frame cracked? Trany/t-case mount fuxed? Motor mounts fuxed? Check and tighten u-bolts? Spring hanger and shackel bolts?

3. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

yea i didnt have anyplay....i replaced the u-joints and greased em ....put some more tranny fluid in and took it for a drive.....this time i drove about 2 blocks straight and got up to like 35....it was fine no shaking....took a turn and got on the gas again...shaking was back! so i dunno...i checked the yoke on the axle too...it was tight....now i'm stuck....man i hate driving my moms car!

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I would say check the wheel bearings or the u-bolts.....mike

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

That sounds like ti would be a steering thing...Or atleast in the front end. Check everything steering related. From the steering shaft to the tires. Even check your lug nuts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good luck. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

well the weird part about the whole thing is well....the u-joint has been bad for like a week or longer....its been making a noise which sounds almost exactly like exhuast hitting somewhere so i figured thats what it was also because it still drove the same, well the today when i got on the gas up to like 65 it started shaking, so thats when the u-joint thing came to mind.....replaced it and no more noise but it shakes like a mo-fo!
    so i'm still stuck on what it could be....

7. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Check your wheel weights! Unbalanced tires are killer!
    Also check your wheel bearings I had a hub assembly freeze up and die. By the time i figured out what it was my wheel was being held on by the brakes! I figured out what it was by burning my hand on the hub.

Also, check your yokes around the new ujoint.. make sure nothing got munched.