Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ranchhand, Nov 8, 2003.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Newbie

i did some searching about the infamous death wobble. from the few threads that it brought up for me, it seems to be a king pin style only problem to do with the alignment problems caused by incorrect caster. is this correct? if so, are there any concerns with a ball joint style dana 60 or d44? this site is one of the best ive seen so far guys keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

My 44 had it with ball joints, my 60 had it with all new parts, and I have even seen 2wd solid steering f450's have it. There are lots of little reasons DW occurs, and can sometimes be a BEEOOTCH to figure out, but here are the basics..
    -wheel bearing adjustment
    -wheel balance
    -replace parts that are worn
    -alignment (i.e.toe-in/caster angle)

Most common fix is to call up Matt at westtexasoffroad.com
    and order the Red Neck Ram set-up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats what I did!!

Rob

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Newbie

is that legal? i know some hydraulic steering setups are not. around here you cant stay off the road getting to and from the trails

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Well, in most states Hydraulic "ASSIST" is fine, because there is still a mechanical means to steer the truck. With a full hydraulic system, there is no mechanical back-up.

BTW-Please fill out your profile, this well help people answer your questions if they know your location, rig specs, etc.

Rob

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hyd assist is no different than what the early '70s fords had stock.