Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble research for you dana 60 fans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gpnjuice, Jul 24, 2006.

1. gpnjuice

gpnjuice Registered Member

Ok here is some research for y'all.

I just got done with my dana 60 install and found the dreaded Death Wobble. So I started some research. For the quick version, I added two 1/8" washers to each kingpin spring and poof no death wobble no stabilzer with cross over.

Ya I know repost well here is the tech...

I researched 29 other users with d60 death wobble and what their fix was reported to be. I didn't count, cross over/stabilizer/power assist since those are bandaids.....

here is what I found of the 30 users:

9 had loose steering that they fixed (tre's/loose steering box etc
    15 had used the washers in the kingpin
    2 fixed it with toe adjustments
    1 fixed it with caster
    2 tires
    1 brakes
    1 loose suspension

Now before you say wait there are more than thirty. I included some that fixed loose steering and kingpin. When they did this at the same time. So moral of the story. check them kingpin springs before anything else....

So hopefully this will help some of the research for all you other dana 60 swappers...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I dont have a d60 but thats awesome. Good work!

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to rubuild my 60 soon - is this just something that I should do then?

4. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I did the washer bit and it worked for a minute. My last trip out it came back:mad: . I see a rebuild soon. I am running cross over and high steer, no ram no sablizer. After my rebuild I need to get a new ram too.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am going to rebuild them before installing the axle. maybe that will do.

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

IMO, the washers are also a bandaid. The rest are what I would consider a fix. And yes, I fixed mine with hydroassist, anotherbandaid. :rolleyes:

BTW, that adds up 31 :wink1:

Nice research thanks. Too bad it came in too late for me. Or should I say lucky me I got my hydroassist before realizing the simple washers fixes this? :p:

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If it helps your research, I put 2 1/16" washers in and it had no improvement. I'm certain it's from out of balance tires because all of the steering stuff is new and tight.

Hydro-assist made it go away it though :) It didn't fix the core problem but it solved the symptoms.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The washers are a big bandaid. The real way to fix it is with new springs and bushings and pins if nesserary. Don't get me wrong, the washer trick is a good fix since the springs tend to wear out kind of quick.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I agree that tires have a lot to do with it. Not the cause all the time but they can amplify the problem. One thing I would consider researching is when they had death wobble were they running bias or radial tires. I would almost bet most will be on bias tires.

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good point...... for the record I'm running 38.5x14.5x16.5 Super Swamper TSL/SX Bias on stock HMMWV Rims.

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I agree. I went from radial 35's to bias 37's and thats when I first experienced DW...although I would say that my truck was just starting it and didn't get as violent as some have described. One washer per side almost cured mine. Its livable now until I rebuild the kingpins (soon). BTW, I didn't balance the tires - seems worthless as they change balance everytime I wheel.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have new springs and bushings on my Dana-60, and I still had to put a 1/8" thick washer on each side. I inspected the king pins, and they are in good condition. The problem with my death wobble only started after I replaced my 33" tires with a new set of bigger 35" tires on my truck. I think another thing people need to look at is worn out bearings on the bottom of the steering knuckle. The bearings on my truck are probably the original ones, and need to be replaced.

13. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I am running the same tire. I replaced the springs and bushinge before trying the washers. My steering is all new so that is out of the question for me, I am basically relating my problem to the Swamper sx's. My next move is
    bb's or golf balls and everything from the wheel bearings out, including the king pin.

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How many miles are on your axle?

15. 1-ton

almost 170,000. Mostly street miles. The PO's never took this truck off roading, and I only take it on easy fireroads and washes when I wheel it.

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How do you know that your bottom bearings need to be replaced? Is there any physical evidence, or is it just an "it's time" thing?

The reason I ask is that I have an ORD spring/bushing kit coming my way because I started getting the DW on the crew cab I just bought from Cam. The truck only has 57K on it, and has obviously been taken care of, so I would hope that the bottom bearings would still be good.

17. 1-ton

I keep getting a tire vibration on my right front (not too bad, just enough to be annoying sometimes). I have had two different sets of brand new rims and tires on the truck (rotated them too), and it still keeps getting a vibration on the right front (always at one particular speed, depending on which tire and rim is mounted to it). Everything on the front end has been replaced, but the bearings and races on the steering knuckles.

I can also see that the lower part of the steering knuckles has about 1/8" movement on the right side, and about 1/16" on the left, even when recently greased.

It is also based on the age of the bearings as well too.

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Golf balls do not work. I worked in a commercial tire shop and saw all these remedies. Equal tire balance does work and is easier to put in your tires then golf balls. you don't need to break the bead for equal.

19. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I put new bearings, bushings and springs in my 60 before i put it in. the pins seemed fine. went to 37's and got DW sometimes. Put 2 x 1/16 washers in, no more DW, now on 40's still no DW, yet...

edit: oh yeah, used dyna beads in my 37's, 40's are balanced with stick on weights inside the rim, and adding a single steering stabilizer didn't do shat for anything :) pry should have a dual, but whatever:)

20. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks, great info.