Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble strikes again!!!I think i fixed it not sure though..page3

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Mar 31, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I out an axle under my truck....drove about 40 miles no problem with the trailer to pick up another truck...got out on the road and got the wobble...i stopped at a conv. store and put some air in my tires,got back on the road and everything went fine till i hit the brakes and then i had the scariest experiance with the death wobble ever....my right side wheel was covered in brake dust and there was a smell like burning brakes...i think the right side claiper is stuck....NEED SOME HELP!!!thanks guys!!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Have a brake shop or dealer look at it. My '04 E350 XLT superduty did the same thing when I would hit the brakes.I only had 8,000 miles on the rig and the dealer said the rotors were warped from heat. They turned the rotors (under warranty) and I haven't had a problem since.

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay, try and be a little more descriptive so we can help. I saw your brakeline story and you said you had mucho problems but you didn't say what they were?

So now you have death wobble, right side. Okay...

Did you check the lug nuts for proper torque?
    What did you torque the spindle nuts to?
    Did you replace the ball joints?

What exactly did you do to your axle rebuild? Kinda need to know to diagnose. I really want to help you out.

Manny

4. twoslo4five0

well the ball joints are new,lugs were tight,and i havnt checked the spindle nuts....what i have found out the caliper was bad,i replaced the caliper and got going fine...for about 10 miles then it came back...the allen bolt for the caliper is wouldnt get tight....i guess the backing plate is stripped...i have another set of backing plates i will change that next...i guess...

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay,

Well, that's a good way to trouble shoot. Yes it sounds like the caliper may be an issue. Just a friendly suggestion. The way you positioned everything, it came across as if Black Widow Performance was at fault or issue. When you are looking for help, try to be as descriptive as possible so we can help troubleshoot and resolve the matter quickly, efficiently and safely. The way you explained it made Shane sound to be problem, when truly it appears that it may not be. Hang in there, you have my number. I'm standing by to help any way I can. Glad you weren't hurt.

Manny

6. twoslo4five0

yeah that was my first experiance with the death wobble and it was a scary...luckily for me i had my trailer on the back and could use the brakes to slow it down....im just stricking out on bad luck here lately...

7. twoslo4five0

so yesterday i replaced the caliper and it did fine for 10 miles and it came back...the lower bolt on the caliper wont tighten up i think it got stripped when the caliper locked up...but i cant fiqure why the wobble came back after i put a new caliper on???well ive been doing some thinking today....can i get a heli coil and retap my backing plate were the lower caliper bolt is???we all know how hard it is to get a set of 3/4 ton backing plates,so would a heli coil be safe???

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  8. twoslo4five0

need some help here guys...

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You mentioned you just put the axle in. Have you double checked your u-bolts for tightness? And gone over every other nut and bolt you touched during the swap?

10. twoslo4five0

well i havnt checked all the u bolts but i checked a few when i was broke down and they were still torqued to 120 lbs....i think its a brake problem cause it only happens when i hit the brakes...i actually got it home (20 mile trip)with the trailer brakes...very unsafe but i didnt have much of a choice....

11. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

You may need to tear it down and check the torque spec on the spindle nuts. Their being out of torque will be magnified by the braking action. Sorry, but it's better to tear it apart and be safe, then not and lose a wheel down the highway. Here to help like always!

Manny

Oh btw..if the side is loose because of the spindle torq specs, better tear down the other side to be safe! :D

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey guys,

Rally 'round. Twoslo needs some help concerning heli coils. I don't know anything about them, so somebody step up and help a CK5'er out!

Manny

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What you are describing is NOT death wobble. You stop death wobble by applying the brakes.

What you are describing is a brake issue and it seems to me that since one of your caliper bolts is not tight it is letting the caliper get cocked on the rotor and that will cause the vibration.

It is like you have a warped rotor but instead of a few thousandths out it is more like 1/8" to 1/4" out.

By out I mean runout that is not true.

Ira

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You might want to also check your alignment. If your toe is off it can also cause a violent vibration but what you describe is happening the opposite of
    "Death Wobble".

Ira

15. twoslo4five0

well guys i took the truck out today after changing the tires and re doing my rear fift...i was trying to get the wobble to come back and couldnt get it to...could pulling my trailer have caused it???sounds crazy but it only happened when the trailer was loaded and it hapened with in a mile of the driveway???WTF???

16. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

X2

Death wobble isnt from pressing the brakes, its from hitting a bump or something. Kinda sounds like you dont have a cabilper on right. Every time it happens, does it always go the same way?? Yeah and having a trailer on could make it only do it then and not when its off.

17. twoslo4five0

its only happened twice with the trailer loaded on on the back...i tried to get it to come back but couldnt get it to today so i dunno what it is..

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I thought death wobble only happened on D60s? :dunno:

19. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

nope

20. twoslo4five0

x2 the death woble can happen on any car or truck and be caused from many diffrent things...like tires,brakes,steering problems,suspention problems,alignment just about everything in your front end..