Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble when braking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eric__kam, Sep 8, 2005.

1. eric__kam

eric__kam Newbie

I have a 85 with a D60 in front and when I hit the brakes I get the "death wobble" it only happens when I'm braking and usually only from higher speeds. I checked my steering components and everything seems to be in order. I was wondering if it could be warped rotors? or possible only one caliper grabbing??

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

We need more info... how many miles on the brakes.. have you ever used them hard...overheated them..towed with them... are the rotors scored or grooved in anyway...
    if,,,as you say ALL your other components are good...
    then... yes it is probably one or both rotors warped... a good way to tell if you absolutely arent sure is put a dial indicator on them and see how much they runout (out of round/warped)...
    if you dont have a dial indicator and need to lo buck test it you could try a straight edge almost touching the wheel and then spin it... if it touches anywhere on the face of the rotor you arent true...but obviously this method isnt as accurate...

surface the rotor and perform a brake job.... make sure you check for wheel bearing/component slop...

cam

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

To be honest.....you're symptoms don't really sound like DW.

Hard braking is usually how you CURE deathwobble, not how you induce it. My guess is a worn component, or as was already suggested a bad rotor or caliper.

:thinking: