Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death wobble with a D44 and 36's? Anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Death wobble with a D44 and 36\'s? Anyone else?

Okay, I know DW is known to plague D60's with 36's and up. I am runnning a D44 with 36's and my front end has been getting worse. I hit a bump sometimes and the front end gets a terrible side to side shake. The truck doesn't change directions it just shakes like hell through the steering wheel, it is usually around 25-45 MPH, above and below it does not do it. Is this DW or do I have other problems, I have a new steering arm and new draglinks, everything else seems tight. Anyone know how to fix this on a D44? I know on the D60 you replace the king pins and bushings, but D44's have balljoints and not kingpins. Any help is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Death wobble with a D44 and 36\'s? Anyone else?

Are your tires balanced? I'm convinced that my wobble is due to tires out of balance and it just hits a sweet spot at 35-45 mph. Mine isn't bad enough to worry though so I leave it alone.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

sounds like DW to me, and yes it can happen to D44s and 10 bolts. your best bet is to spend an hour reading previous posts, and making a list of things to try that have worked for other CK5'ers. There isnt one simply straight forward solution.

Good luck

4. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

I had a DW @ about 25mph with a 3/410bolt and 38.5' bias ply gournd hawgs.

Never did find out what the problem was...i just said [darn] it and installed a sixty!

I know that with the right geometry and good ball joints, you should hardly need a stabalizer. My previous owner had the aforementioned setup with 1 blown monroe stabalizer and drove it @ 70mph down the highway....no wobble.

It baffled me.

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.

Let me elaborate on my problems....maybe you can draw some conclusions from it.

I bought my truck, it had 1 fawked axle and hub, drove fine everywhere, at any speed. Had worn ass TRE's and DLE's, but the ball joints were OK.

Then I decided the truck body was WAY too cancerous so I swapped to a rust free 76 body, fixed the axle and went wheeling.

HOLY [darn]! Death wobble!

Same setup, different body, new axle (stub) and new hub. We're all scraching our heads going wtf!!! Now, We're not sure but we think the truck had an overtightened hub on the side we replaced, but I never had a chance to check because I blew the stub and axle up again. At that point the K5 was taken off the road for some serious TLC and ?I got a deal on a D60 for 300, which I wasn't about to pass up.

So? Changed an axle latley? maybe it was overtightened...I dont know, But I know for sure a bunch of ppl will go insane over this issue, and some fly around on cloud nine with a perfectly working truck (no matter how BAD the ball joints are) and are wondering wtf our problem is!

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Been there, put a stabilizer on it and the problem went away. Mine wobble popped up from wear, it was great for about 3K miles and all of a sudden it was undrivable. Put on a little stabilizer and it was gone.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Told you about mine Krennen. My D60 came straight from the factory with DW. Only conclusions I have is maybe the camber is off.

I thought you said you didn't have DW? What happened? Did this just start recently? If so I'd be leaning towards "something has loosen'd up".

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have 36 swampers on a dana 44....in 7 years since ive owned it its only death wobbled one time..at about 30 mph.....otherwise its been totally fine can cruise the highway at 75 if i dare.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif have you bent the tie rod recently throwing the toe off????if you dont have positive or negative toe that can cause it...otherwise i dunno what to tell ya /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have it on the highway when i hit the ruts that the 18 wheelers make.other than that it does wander a little on stait roads.the steering is a little loose but i think that it is the tie rod ends.i dont think theyve ever been replaced and my truck is a 72.it helped a lot when i replaced my ball joints.those looked pretty good sitting there,but when i got the wheel up in the air and wiggled it i could move the hub about an inch in either direction.

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you check your steering box where it mounts to the frame?Jack up the front and put it on jack stands then check the front for loose parts. probably just need a dual stabalizer........................

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have it on the highway when i hit the ruts that the 18 wheelers make.other than that it does wander a little on stait roads.the steering is a little loose but i think that it is the tie rod ends.i dont think theyve ever been replaced and my truck is a 72.it helped a lot when i replaced my ball joints.those looked pretty good sitting there,but when i got the wheel up in the air and wiggled it i could move the hub about an inch in either direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had death wobble at highway speeds and lived through it, I think I'd [darn] myself. The ruts your describing throw everyone around including semis. My definition of DW is a violent shacking motion resulting in the body of the vehicle to jolt back and forth in an unnatural (scary as hell) manner causing one to suck up seat cushion. It feels like the front axle is going to rip away from the vehicle.

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Mine did that, put on an Autozone stabilizer and it went away.