Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Wobble?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Apr 12, 2006.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I have read everything I can find about this and think this may be my issue...

Sometimes when slowing down after going say 40+ my front pass. tire starts bouncing all over the place. It's only happened to that side and only when slowing down from speed, usually with light brake pressure. I put new kingpin springs in when I put the axle in and have about 1k on it. No steering stabilizer, ord bolt in brace, no fender washers yet, new draglink, new tierod ends, tierod is slightly bent, but it did it before that too.

I re-used the rotors and they don't seem to warped as it breaks fine all other times.

I was thinking the stabilizer might help, but I've seen plenty of other people not running one...

37" mtr's with dyna beads

Thanks in advance for any help, as this scares people from riding in my truck and I don't want to kill some poor soul in a miata when I drive over them cause my wheel is hopping all over :)

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Try the stabilizer. When I did my 60 swap, 4WPW sent me the wrong stabilizer. It was midnight and I wanted to try it out. Death wobbles everytime i came to a stop sign. I went home, pulled the stailizer of my other truck and much better.

Check your alignment, it can't be right with a bent tie rod. Plus, that's gonna wear those nice tires fast. I did the same thing and wore 1/2 the tread off my front tires in about 5K miles. I was pissed .... still am!

Welcome to the DW club where you're (usually) a member for life! Just like herpies ..... when you think it's gone, it come back to surprise you.

Eric M.

3. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

fender washers

I just rebuilt a D60 and still ended up putting in some fender washers to make it go away. I'm running 36 iroks, crossover, HD draglink and tierod, and no stabilizer. Didn't take but one time for me to go get some washers from the local Ace hardware store. Works Great.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Is it an up and down, or an in and out motion?

5. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if is in/out or up down, i'd say in/out which cause a lot of bouncing.

I reset the toe in after i made an attempt at strightening the tie rod, and it seems to be alright. i'm not wearing tires right now although i don't drive it much. only to/fro trails.

I will just give the washer a shot and see if it goes away, would it be alright to only put one in the passenger side?

also, i'll get a stabilizer on there eventually, just too lazy to make up a bracket for it...

thanks guys, let me know if you got any more ideas...

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, you know, if it isn't side to side movement your experiencing, it isn't Death Wobbles. The wheel will be jerking to the left and right so hard you can't hold it still.

Eric M.

7. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

the best I can explain it i guees is that the tire starts wobbling and hopping

I don't recall any large jerks of the steering wheel...

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's not death wobbles. Tires balanced?

Eric M.

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmmm 1 tire only? Sticky caliper?........first put fender washers under the caps anyways,