Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

death wobble

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Feb 16, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

i have a sever death wobble problem. I have a dana 60 front end and every thing feels tight it has a knew steering stabilizer and knew tierod ends. there is no play in the wheel as far as bad wheel bearings or king pins. i just swaped the front end in. i need somme in fo any would help thanks

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

easy....lose the swampers and the death wobble will go away......i have the same problem with my swampers and d44....my whole front axle has been gone through and when i put other tires on, it rides/drives great..

good luck....rob

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. UNCLE CRACKER

I had a dana 44 before i swaped in the 60 and i never had a problem so i dont think it is the tires because im using th same tire and wheel combo. any other suggestions?

4. UNCLE CRACKER

just for the heck of it I tried a set of 35in BFGs on the front and I still had the same problem.it wasant any better or any worse.

5. UNCLE CRACKER

had the truck lined up today and everything looked great. still have the wobble.

6. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

When do you get the wobble? I have the same problem, but only
    under braking, coming to a stop. I have not figured it out yet. Keep you posted.

7. UNCLE CRACKER

i have to apply the brakes to get rid of the wobble. it happens at all speeds. there is no way i could drive it on the highway

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have a rotor out of balance. I have never seen it but can't see what else it could be.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

9. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

I had the wobble forever, I finally installed the ORD crossover steering, and a heavy duty tie rod, it was the best mod I've done. No more death wobble, no more bumpsteer, and a tighter turning radius!! It is an easy bolt on with a D60, so in my opinion you should talk to Stephen about the system!
    Oh yeah.. everyone has a point about the tires, check the balance and rotate them!! Jon
    Blazin' Trails ORD Style<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigredblazer on 02/17/02 12:40 PM.</FONT></P>

10. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Not sure what is happening with yours, but I have the same situation.... just swapped from a 10 bolt to a 60 front and presto, death wobble.

The 60 was on a truck I bought (drove it 300 miles to dismantle, no problems on the drive). I have installed it onto my truck along with crossover steering, all new bearings and races at the outers, fresh pads, etc. I re-checked bearing seating (torque to 50 ft-lbs, back off, torque to 35 ft-lbs, back off 3/8 turn and install lock ring / nut)... it was fine. I am running the same 33" tires/rims as I have been for 6 years now. I had an alignment done after installing the axle (basically paid to have them straighten the steering wheel before I switched to crossover... the paint on the tie-rod wasn't even scuffed :)

The wobble only shows up on a bump at the right speed or during medium braking. My biggest suspicion at present is shock harmonics... perhaps the shocks aren't in the same static position as the 10 bolt. I will probably pursue that this week. Unless someone else has a remarkable revelation for this malady [​IMG]

[​IMG] Designing Tomorrow the Night Before Yesterday's Technology

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Check the caster readout on your alignment sheet. The tech often will not mention anything if its off, since they don't adjust caster as part of the alignment. To fix it you have to add shims between the diff housing and the springs.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The castor may be getting you, I think factory spec is about 6 degrees, I've run up to 8 and I think I'm back to about 5 now. That seemed to help. The only wobbles I've had were related to loose steering parts and were solved by a stabilizer. It may take a pair of dampers on it to get it calmed down. I hate to recommend band-aids for this stuff but that seems to be what works sometimes. I had a buddy running 40" boggers on a BRAND NEW from the crate D60 and had a DW. We slapped the stabilizers on it and it's fine. didn't question it too far.

Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

warped rotors?
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

14. bradley J.

bradley J. Registered Member

freaked me out bad!
    i`m run`n a 60 with 40`s all new , very scary at speeds!
    added duel steering stabilizer to the cross-over.
    have not had it happen since.good luck.
    brad

15. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

how much lift, too? and did you add any degree shims when you swapped?

w/4" spring I added 4degree shims on each side and I don't have any DW at any speed w/o a steering shock... but also previously on an older stock height sub the steering shock was gone and I got horrible DW whenever I hit a bump until the shimmy shock got replaced.

edit: just noticed the date of original post. :doah:

16. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

I had a 10 bolt with 36" tires and had wobble. Put in the 60 and the wobble increased. There is just too much damn weight on the outside of the kingpins on a d60 so the will have death wobble. I changed all steering linkage and still death wobble. I put a new steering box and boxed in the frame and while i was at it I put a washer as a spacer under the spring in the top kingpin and bolted it together to make the spring tighter and the death wobble is gone. Another friend welded his shackles together so they wouldnt twist and it worked for him. Crossover helps a lot and you MUST have a steering stabilizer on a d60, 2 if the wobble is a big prob. Good luck

17. thebeeter

thebeeter Registered Member

a couple fender washers on top of the king pin springs should cure it

18. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok....this death wobble is getting annoying....i have a 90 blazer with a 4inch lift and 33x14.5 mickeys...i had wat i am almost positive is death wobble..so i looked on here and i found out that it has to do with the front steering...now i have the stock balljoint frontend..it made and still does make a little clunkin noise when u turn the wheel while sitting in one spot..so i had my buddys dad,my mechanic, check it over and the only thing we could find with the truck jacked up was play in the steering box..a few days later we looked at it again..with out the truck jacked up and he looked to see where the noise was coming from....he had me turn the wheel back and forth and he saw play in the draglink...so we put a new one in and no more wobble..over the past couple days i`ve been noticing a little swerving on the highway and a real slight wobble when on kind of bumpy roads..until today...on my way home and hit a little bumpy patch in the road and the wobbles back..any ideas???could it be the steering box??? or anything else??

19. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would double check ball joints first. Then move to all tierod ends and draglink ends.

I doubt it is anything having to do with your steering box.

20. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, i finally fixed my DW. Believe it or not, after replacing just about every front end part what fixed it was a new set of tires. In the course of trying to fix the DW i've replaced front springs, spring bushings, made heavy duty shackles, rebuilt steering box, new draglink ends, new king pin springs and bushings, and even checked and re-adjusted the front whjeel bearings of which none of the mentioned fixed the DW until i replaced all 4 tires.