Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Death Wobble???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by denver75k5, Dec 10, 2002.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I Know there where some posts a while back about it but did anyone ever figure out this thing ?? I found that I have to set my tow way out so it goes away but it's ripping up my 38 swampers..:( any help would be great..

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hyrdo assist steering is the only know remedy for it. its not a cure, but negates almost all of it.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did you shim the axle to correct the pinion angle? Seems to me that might be part of it. If the caster angle was too severe it would be like a shopping cart with a bent wheel. When I converted my 75 to part time I removed the shim and what bump steer I had went away.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dual stablizers fixed mine.

5. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I hate to say it but, have you ever jacked up the front end and checked it for bad ball joints? I know that sounds dumb, but if you have never looked at em' before, they could be bad. Just a thought. Start simple.
    -Ben /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

After a year of no problems, I developed a bad case of DW. I balanced the tires, twice, replaced the stabilizer, rotated tires, checked all the bearings, etc., but still did not solve the problem. When I replaced my tie rod and new tie rod ends, the problems went away.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What is Death Wobble? Can some one describe the characteritics? Thanks,
    dC

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

feels like the front end of your truck is Floating, and Swaying back and forth. My friends followed me one day when i had it real bad and said it looked like my Front end was gonna fly out from under neath my truck. if your going slow and there is no one around, It can be kinda fun, but if there are cars around and you are going like 35-40 it gets kinda scary ;P

9. denver75k5

I never thought to shim it, and yes hydro assist may be the cure but thats kinda out of my range rite now..
    Also it is a fresh d60, I just rebuilt it about 3 months ago and everything is nice & tight. The tie rod ends are fairly new and still have no slop in them. Im almost wondering if it's a 38 x 12.5 thing , I have talked to other folks with 38.5 x 15 Rad. tires and they dont seem to have that problem.

10. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

A new steering stabilizer only masks the problem. You probably have some really worn rod ends or bushings somewhere. You may even have a really out of round tire on the front end helping contribute to it. Death Wobble is much more rare on leaf sprung vehicles that coil sprung vehicles.

Chris

11. Sandman

I would think that a narrow tire would decrease the death wobble. I noticed that while I was going through my death wobble fun. Mine turned out to be bad wheel bearings.

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I think you should take that 60 out bring it over here and we can put you 44 back in problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Sandman

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well all the guys I know that have the D60 with 38/12.5 have this problem, one of them used those weights you put in the tires to balance them and he says they made a world of difference, and they all have tight setups. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Dual-stablizers cured mine....big heavy rubber's always tough on a suspension. Worn ball-joints should be replaced regardless of DW or not.

16. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

It feels like that when I drive with my hubs locked... whats that mean?

17. denver75k5

Um, ya, sure Butch when can I come over /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

18. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

You will not mistake death wobble if you have it. That other post called it fun??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif First time I have ever heard it called that. My CUCV had it when I first started driving it and it would scare the hell out of you. Front end felt like it was falling out of the truck, wouldnt stop without coming to a stop. Mine went away with tie rod ends.

19. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Ya unmistakable and embarrassing. Front end jerks side to side violently /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif "just keep driving...no one notices if you don't look...I'm not a redneck,I'm not a redneck,I'm not a redneck,I'm not a redneck"

20. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie and I've already experienced it! Just after I put my 4" lift on I took off the 31s I currently have on. My buddy had a worn set of 35-14-15 Groundhawgs on stock wheels so I threw those on too see how they looked (alot better than the 31s!!!) Well I decide to go for a ride by myself and as soon as I hit 35 mph I thought I was gonna sh*t my pants!!! I thought I left a wheel loose, I couldn't believe how bad the truck was jerking side to side. Needless to say, I put the 31s back on. I'm gonna have to check out the ft. end again and see if anything is worn. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif