Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deaver vs Alcan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok with all the posts I've read about people doing their suspension and ending up with all kinds of different heights due to sagging springs etc. I figure you might as well just go with new springs. From what I've heard around here deaver and alcan seem to be the best springs out there. If you were to buy new springs which would you choose and why? What are some of the differences between the two companies? And just for fun if anyone is running them lets see your flex pics /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I'm thinking that some 2" lift springs in the 52" length would be pretty nice up front. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Still debating the rear.

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Were I to buy some springs soon it would be for the rear of my yoter. In taht case Deaver has a spring already worked out that most of the pre-runner's use.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd look to see which has a spring for your application already worked out and tested. I know Deaver built some springs for a pre '73 4x4 pre-rnnr truck.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

deaver is a block away from my house. very cool company. one problem is they only offer a 6" lift spring for our trucks. they cost about 500 just for the front springs. i asked for a 3" lift and they said it would have to be a custom spring, which bumps the price up to around 700.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you are after the best ride, flex and spring quality, then these types of springs are the way to go!!!! Even for the extra $$$ they are worth it. The springs you buy from any lift mfg. are just going to be a run of the mill Mc Donalds type lift spring and not actually tailored to your rig like the Alcans and Deavers will be. Another option is to go with National Springs out of CA...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, both are top notch, I'd just call em both and get quotes and go with whichever is cheapest.

j

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of Alcans, but have yet to put them to use. I can say that Alcan customer service is top notch. Very easy to deal with and they will answer any questions about your order. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks for the replies, I noticed someone said around $500-700 for the Deavers, can anyone tell me what to expect to pay for the Alcans? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Haven't heard anything bad about Alcan.

I've talked to people at Deaver and gotten the lowdown on spring science and believe that they rock and know what they are doing. I have heard almost all great things about Deaver with customer service, so if I were going that route, I would go with Deaver.

National doesn't enter the picture though. Even though they have great springs, all I have heard the last few years that the time to get springs from them is a long wait.

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ive heard great things about both but i priced some springs for my offroad truck and they said 185$ per front spring and 230$ per rear spring. quotes will differ with the ride height and weight you want and what you use it for

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I talked with National about a year ago, and the guy I talked to was great. Covered everything I could passibly ask and more. He was super confident they could build exactly what I wanted and have it peform better than I expected. He had already talked me into the longer springs before it became the rage around here. Adn delivery was about 2 weeks I think. But it was going to cost in the neighborhood of $1200 for the 4 springs.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I have talked with national a few times...but it was a few years back. To the point..the guy was a dick. Another guy I know called them a while back and they wanted about $2000 for springs.
    Maybe you got them on a good day or something.

I know you are askin about Deaver and Alcan, but another one that I've seen around is Atlas Spring Co. here in Cali. Not sure if they could help you out.

When I talked to Deaver a year or more ago...we were just b.s'n and if I remember right he told me they build up to 8" springs...and anything over that, they send to National. I think he even said they build springs for National.
    Like I said, it has been a few years, but I know they told me something like that.

12. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

the owner of atlas springs was a member on pavementsucks for a while. real nice guy. not sure what happened to him. ive heard great things about there springs. thats all the info have to give. sounds like deaver is the better choice around here though. il settle for tuff countries.

13. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i had some springs priced for my pickup 4 inch springs, 56's in the rear and they priced me at like 230$ for the front and 185$ for the rear. the rear was also for stock ride height but would flex out good cuz i run a shackle flip and a long shackle. ive heard really good stuff from both. if it were me i might pick alcan cuz of there great one on one service but i woudlnt know about deaver and ive heard real good stuff from them to. id say go by price i guess thats hard 2 pick

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a set of Alcan's sitting here in my closet...:D 6" fronts and 2.5" rears. I bought them from blk87K5 (bryan) recently.

IIRC he bought them from ORD. You might want to give Stephen a call and see where that gets you. All I can say for now is they look real good (even though they're used) The problem with real flexy springs is all the other stuff you need to be able to run them to their full potential. I now have cross-over on the way from ORD and should be choosing some 14-16" long shocks soon.

Drivelines will kill my budget I'm sure. Not 100% sure who I'm gonna go with or even what I'm gonna run yet.

According to Bryan his K5 rode really plush on these springs and flexed like crazy. I can't wait to get them under my truck! :xmas:

Rene

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

National used to be the best game in town. Then it went to their head or something. They lost a lot of business, possibly got new owners or managers, and either are reorganizing or are about to depending on which rumor you chose to believe.

I've had a couple conversations with Erik at Deaver and he's always been helpful and square with me. I know the yota guys over on 4xwire tend to favor Alcans, mostly I suspect b/c of AOR being a dealer.

I'd say talk to them both and see who you get along with the best.