Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Debating debating

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've soo been wanting a pair of TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's, but I'm also consittering a set of Orion H2 12.4's. Both are DVC subs, either choice will be wired for 1 ohm. Both can be used in a sealed box. The SSI 12.44's are roughly $350.00 each and the H2 12.4's are around $250.00 each. I know how the SSI 12.44's sound, but haven't heard the H2 12.4's yet. I've had a set of the original Orion Xtreme's years ago, and liked them. I don't know, what do y'all think ??

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Ive never used an H2 myself, but I don't hear the greatest info on them. Also, Ive never been a huge fan of the split-gap design used in their motors. Of those two choices, Id pick the Treo.

I consider Treo a bit on the pricey side for what you get, but there's no doubt they build top quality drivers. Mmmm beefy.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I found a review where they compaired quite a few different subs, and the TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's have a higher rating SQ then the Orion H2 12.4's. Guess that answers that question. The say the H2 handles more power, but the TREO SSI's will handle my amp just fine. Yeah, TREO's can be alittle pricey, but they also have cheaper lines then the SSI (Street Series Improved). Looks like I'll still be saving up for awhile. Maybe by my birthday (Aug.) this year.

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Power handling really is not a good way to judge a speaker's performance anyway. Keep us updated Z.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know, I know, but I don't want something my amp is going too fry. I really don't want too have too get a different amp for the subs because my MMATS D200hc has served me well over the years. That another + for the TREO Engineering SSI 12.44's. It's a perfect match for my MMATS amp. TREO is know for under rateing thier subs. They rate the SSI's at 750 watts RMS, but they'll easily handle twice that all day long. I guess as soon as I get my credit cards paid off, I'll go ahead and get a pair of the SSI 12.44's. http://www.treoonline.com/ssi.html