Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deburring a new oil pump gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TopOff, Jan 14, 2004.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

How does one do this?

Both of the books I bought for rebuilding the BBC specify to debur the oil-pump gears. But how?

I took my new Melling oil-pump apart, and the gears look to be in EXCELLENT shape, with no visible signs of burs.

Thanks in advance.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

bump?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know that there is a "correct" procedure, but it would have to entail looking at all the non-meshing surfaces (besically, the top and bottom of the gears as they sit in the pump) and removing any burrs and likely any pits that are there.

I pulled one of mine apart to "deburr" it as well, and there was nothign to do to it, so I threw it back together. I've seen oil pumps that have had etal shards go through them, and although the bottom plate was scratched, and some of the teeth had dents in them, the engine still had plenty of oil pressure.

It would take a lot to make one of those pumps fail, deburring is likely only mentioned to make sure that the housing and bottom plate don't get scored, which will leak fluid, which means a less efficient pump.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a video that shows you how to do this, but it's basically a waste of time IMO. Use a high quality pump and inspect it prior to using it.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies guys.

THIS IS A NEW PUMP. But the books I have say to debur them... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

If it was a used pump, I could see inspecting it and all that. But pumps are cheap enough (compared to the rest of the rebuild), I would buy a new pump and not re-use the old one.

I guess there really isn't anthing to do to a new pump, except to make sure it was better takin' care of than just raw machined gears. I guess it looks good-enough to me!

Thanks for the replies!

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Dad said he used to clean them up with emery and crocus cloth back in the day but now oil pumps come from the factory better looking than he used to put in 30 years ago after he cleaned them up.