Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

decal removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EODBRIAN, May 8, 2000.

1. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

planning on painting my truck REAL soon. i have a factory "stripe" that goes all the way around the truck. ive gotten halfway around removing it with a razor blade, but it breaks off in tiny pieces, as its pretty thin. also, just peeling it off leaves the sticky residue that ive come to believe cannot be gotten off by solvents, as i think ive tried everything. (ive gone to sandpaper, but it gums up the sheet pretty fast, and i end up taking it to the metal.) even taken the propane torch to the decals, with no luck. any tips. thanx.

EODBRIAN

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well depending on the glue and the condition of the stripe usualy the best thing to do is heat it some with a hot air gun. Thats how I did it on my car that I wasn't repainting so no way I was going to come near it with a razor blade. I then found a product from 3M called adhesive remover. it was slow but it worked and didn't damage the paint.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

heat gun, shmeat gun. use a hair dryer.
    for the residue: vegetable oil
    the oil takes the goo right off, then the oil washes off with warm water and soap.

old wive's tales are true!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>