Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decent free CAD program for PC?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by dremu, Apr 21, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

As subject, I'm looking for recommendations on a decent free CAD program for the PC. I don't want to design an entire house or truggy with it; just do up drawings of a few parts, with dimensions, so I can describe the parts to somebody else in a repeatable way. You know, one step up from graph paper and doing it by hand. (My drafting teacher always screamed "Lettering, Shephard, LETTERING!!!!" ... those of you who've done this know what I mean /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Be really nice if it could export to DXF (that's the AutoCAD format, right? I've not used that since I was in school... on an 8MHz PC *with* a math chip, ooh!) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, a quick Google turned up a bunch, so I'm just wondering if any of y'all have used any you liked or hated.

And, obviously, if this isn't COG enough, do feel free to move it to another forum -- it seemed COGgy enough to me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have some serious interest in this too.
    "those aren't an 1/8 inch tall!! Where's your scale?" <- ya I took drafting too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've used auto cad, solid works, and solid edge. I got them for free through school. Solid edge is by far the easiest to use, IMO. I don't know where you would get any cad program for free unless you're a student? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh, there are a half dozen on the web, complete freeware, or baby versions which are free, so that you buy the fancier ones that do more stuff.

I downloaded a handful today, so if nobody steps up with recommendations I'll try them all and let all y'all know how it goes.

-- A

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ha, I also took drafting and worked as a "design engineer" (yeah, that was the official title) where I did professional drafting for a die shop for several years. God I hated that "lettering" and that was always what I lost points on. Never had much fault with my drawings in school, but lettering, well, we'll just ignore that for now...

No idea on free stuff. I usually use Visio (I use in my real work) to produce draft style multi-plane orthogonal views. Frankly, iso is not really that much use for most vehicle stuff except for showing off a concept in a neat semi-real way (rendered).

As for CoG, out of the ordinary tools for serious fab work are specifically acceptable and I think this falls in that category. Good luck in your search.