Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decent High Amp Altenator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Oct 12, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I would like to upgrade my stock 63 amp unit to a high output unit. I do not want to spend a fortune though. I see 4WPW has "Powermaster" units that are 140 amps, for less than $200. Would this be an ok unit, or is there something else I should consider? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

JEGS sells hi output 1-wire amps in different ratings.
    I got a 100 amp 1-wire unit for $90. Works great. If you need more amperage, they sell those too.
    -- Mike

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got my 100 amp from summit for 100 dollars shipped to my door.works good so far.we;ll see how long that lasts when i get it wet mud boggin and puddle hoppin

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiousity, how does a one wire altenator work? I have wondered this for a while, my current unit has a plug with 2 wires and the wire off the back.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Also...how many amps is enough? I currently do not run much, no stereo or winch, some off-road lights. I would like to upgrade to something that would be powerful enough once I do add a winch, etc.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

A one wire alt. Uses a self exciting regulator. It will "turn on" when engine RPM is about 1500 to 2000. It is the same as a regular alt. with a diffrent regulator is all. They sell the regulators at NAPA, if you ever wanted to convert one to this set-up.
    I rember there being a rebuild kit for High amp alt. somewhere. I'll have to rember that later. Anyhow I use a factory 94 amp. GM alt in mine and never needed more. I got it from a place in Bellevue, R&L they have starters and alt, generators even. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.wranglernw.com has excellent quality units............have one myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to rebuild Altenators for a living. The 7127 (GM inturnal reglator) is very easy. You should be able to find an Altenator rebuild shop in your area that could put together a High Amp unit for you. We used to sell them for $68.00 or build yours up for $25.00 if memory is correct. I'd look into that befor buying a new unit.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

At this point it would be easier for me to order a new one and keep the one I have now as a spare. Not much time right now to find a shop and take in etc, thanks for the suggestion though.

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Think Im gonna go with that one too. Seems to be the best price I can find and sounds to be of decent quality. Thanks

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got mine from the local parts store for a 1 ton chevy with BB and all the power stuff. Stock is 95 amps. Around $80 bucks with a lifetime warranty.