Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decided to convert to diesel - and suggestions - Rene??????

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a 63K mile 6.2 and have decided to do the transplant. What all do I need to know about doing this? I am very knowledgable about small and big block Chevy's, but I know squat about diesels. Any hints, tips, or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get everything with the 6.2.

I bought the motor ("everything is there dude".../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) and then my buddy and I went halfers on a parts truck.

6.2 obviously
    flexplate or flywheel
    starter
    alternator
    complete hydroboost and brackets and master cylinder
    rad with all the oil cooler lines, fittings etc
    rad shroud, rubber pieces for underneath
    drivers side battery tray
    For auto you'll need the diesel specific torque convertor.

Having the parts truck I opted to swap the engine bay harness. If you unbolt the square harness at the firewall you'll see it comes apart. I retained the small part for the tail lights and the head light part as well and just plugged in the engine harness. I wanted the glow light and the correct fuel gauge so I also swapped the gauge cluster.

At this point it was easy enough to swap in the non AC heat controls and under dash wiring...so we did. Having a complete parts truck is a luxury sometimes/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I got a number of different filters and stuff for the fuel system. I chose to run a Racor water separator/filter and then another canister filter after that and before the injector pump. I mounted it up fairly high on the firewall above the heater box area.

Exhaust is straight forward...

Motor mounts will work just fine. I did have a firewall clearance issue but I think that was due to being rear ended a while back. I loosened all the body mount bolts and used a come-a-long to shift the body rearwards slightly and then bent the firewall lip a little extra with a crow bar.

The filler for the fuel tank will either need to be changed or 'opened up' with a sharp chisel. I drained the gas from my tank and then using compressed air I blew a little air at a time into the tank through the return line and that pushed out all the remaining gas through the feed line and into a jerry can.

Aside from my filter mount on the firewall I think you'd be hard pressed to guess it didn't come from GM with a 6.2 in it.

Now that I've driven it a little I can say the power level is very decent. My 350 was a little faster but the difference isn't as much as I thought it would be...plus it's on 39.5's now which the 350 never had to lug around.

I hope that helps some...

Rene

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Rene pretty much covered it.
    If you have a parts truck it will help you have everything you need right there.
    If not you might find yourself going back and forth for parts.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the info! I'm sure that took a while to type! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm sure I will be asking more questions in the near future.

Does anyone have an extra set of stock injectors? That is the only thing missing from my 6.2. You know how the military canibalizes trucks! At least that was all they took.

Thanks again,
    Mike

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got a guy looking to buy our parts truck 6.2...but if he decides to pass I could pull the injectors out for you.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm sure that took a while to type!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nowhere near as long as it took to do... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Aside from still being ugly I basically have a new truck. i may as well have removed the body, it wouldn't have taken much longer.

Rene