Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

deciding on future...jobs...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Nov 16, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well im a junior now..and its time to start thinking about what i want to do when i grow up.. i want to do something different, exciting, and important, and one thing ive alwyas loved is the water..and boating and ships. i have alwyas kinda thought in the back of my head how it would be cool to be the captian of an ocean liner..i dunno...im really thinking bout that..it would take a lot of training/ work and time no doubt..but man what a awesome job...i dunno i just felt like saying that...

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

If you want to spend some time on ships join the Coast Guard. You could go reserve for 4 years to see if you like it. That way you can either get some cushy ship duty. Or see some action. I think the Cost guard sees more than the navy and your odds are probably better to get on a ship.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think about becoming a writer/reporter for some kind of entertainment mag. Do articals on cruse ships, skiing/snow bording, Wheeling, powerboating/water skiing ...ect. How's that sound to you ?????

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but thats more about saving lives and more of a police type thing...how would that get me any kind of training to be a ship captian or navigating a ship..i dont know much about the coast guard though so..but you mean like..to see how i would like being out on the water and on a ship right..

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, let's see. Ya got to drive the boat to board the vessels.......HMMMMMM

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im thinking more about the type of carrier wear i would be in the action..i have always just liked water..and being on boats..the reason i really am "into" this kind of carrier..(captian of an ocean liner or ship) is becuase we go to the 1000 islands a lot..have done it since i was a little kid ..and if youve ever been there..you see the ocean liners go right through the river.(ST. Lawrence River.)and when you are on your boat..you can actually get right up next to them..and when i saw them i just was amazed..i love the water and being out on a boat..but alwyas thought it would be so great to be able to be in charge and navigate something like that...and the places you would travel and get to see..but i also realize there is danger involved in something like this..but thats also another reason i like it..lol

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

There's been one magazine I'd love to be a staff writer for. The headquarters is in Boulder, CO. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not some green blooded tree hugger. But think about it for a second, college town, mountains (huntin, fishin) and working for the world's greatest magazine all in one town........ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Y'all like water huh? Well, you've got the boat driving thing to think about, that's a lot of mental capacity type crap, too much for me. There's offshore oil rig worker, those guys make a load of dough, though I wouldn't do it. I heard enough of my grandfather's stories of doing it on land to know I wouldn't want to do it. Underwater welder, another $$$$ job, underwater demolition $$$$$$$, what about the fishing boats up in Alaska, or one of those charter things out of LA or Key West?

9. Stickseler

I dont think you can go straight to capitan....although we had an XO on ship that didnt know his port from starboard..I'd check what your options for training are, atleast in the coastgusrd if you were active you would have a roof over your head and 3 squares a day. I bet most comercial ship capitains have some military expereance. And if you went in as a navigator or CIC ( combat info. center) you would learn alot more ship stuff than military stuff. The way the military is looking for people now if you scored good on the tests you can prety much get a contract for whatever job you want. Plus youd get some money for school /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes i realize that would be a lot of thinking to do..have to be alert and on top of the ball 24/7..long hours..away from home for periods of time..radar screens you have to keep track of but thats stuff you have to be willing to do or at least try to learn if you want to do something like this i suppose..again its just an idea of something i may want to do..but im pretty interested in learning about it..

11. Stickseler

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so your saying i would most likly have to go into the military to get into this kind of field..what about the navy..only thing is the navy isnt what i want. i dont want to have to go into battle..i want to get good training and learn how to navigate a ship more...but i have no clue how or wear you would go to get in that direction..

13. Stickseler

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow..i thank you so much for that link ...that article sounds so much like me and my thoughts it was scary. that is EXACTLY what im thinking of..i will keep carful note of this..thanx man!!

15. Stickseler

Yea it listed some other schools that you could look at...just rember at first youll be cleaning toilets and stuff but eventually you can get to what you want. That seems to be thebest part of ships life, from the capitain on down most everyones done the job below them. Some more than others /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the only real depressing part of this to me..is that my chances of actually being able to get into one of those collages are pretty slim. math...not my greatest area at all..and i probobly wont even have enough years of math/ science to get into a collage like that. its to bad but i just dont think i would have the intelligence to get into one..i sure would love to though..ive read all through the marince acadamys sight and they have just what im looking for..but my math and sceince would get me no wear..

17. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Like you, I love boats and being out on the water. About 4 years ago, every weekend of mine was spent staying on our 32' boat. I'm thinking about going into yacht brokerage as a career. Selling used motor yachts. I thought about marine engineering, but math is one of my weaker subjects. One plan that I've been giving some serious thought is picking up a early '80s 41' Chris-Craft Motoryacht and fixing it up and living on it. It would be just me, so I don't need a whole bunch of space, and I would be out on the water then. So brokerage might be something else out there you could think about. Nice to see someone else on the boards who loves boats as much as I do. Motoryachts and boats are the one subject I am knowlegable on. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

that sounds awesome..one thing i love to are old chriscrafs...speacially the old cabin cruisers..wood ones.. the are so awesome..those and Garwoods..the way they sound and look when they drive by at night..i love the sound of a bout with a v8 or a thru the hull exhuast sound moving through the water..its great!i could live at the 1000 islands..gosh i love it there..thats wear i got to love boats so much.. what i really want to do..now that ive researched it a little..is to be a merchant marine. i would have to go to school to get my licence for it..which would be like 4 years.... im still trying to get more details on it though...