Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decision Time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Aug 23, 2005.

?

Best $1,000 (Read post first)

1. D60

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Tires

42 vote(s)
    80.8%
  1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I've got $1,000 to spend and I can't decide what to do. I'm debating between a D60 and new tires. The tires on my truck are absolute bald crap but my 10 bolt is equally crap. I do a little trail riding but mostly Alabama mud. I'm only pushing the axles with a tired 6.2 diesel so I'm leaning toward the tires and the 60 later on. What would you do?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No matter how beefy your components are, you won't be able to use them if your truck can't move. :)

BTDT, good tires are night and day from bald ones. I'd say that difference is as big, if not bigger, than 2WD to 4WD!

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i vote for the new tires. when i got new mud terrains it was nite and day difference especially in the mud. the dana 60 is definetly something you will want also but the new tires will help more places than just offroad

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you got a good deal on a d60 then go for that. I found mine for $400 so I jumped on it 30 min after calling the guy (took the afternoon off fomr work even). Tires are always around the same $$$ onless you got a line on some good used ones. Whatever the better deal of the moment is I would go for that. You can always buy decent used tires cheap too till you can afford new ones again. Different thoughts to consider anyways. :crazy:

5. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Tyres!
    $250 per corner is going to get you some Big Boots i think?

6. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I'm first in line for some 39.5 Iroks (95%) and I've also got a solid deal from interco for 38.5 boggers ($850 :D ) and no d60 prospects so I'm thinkin tires too. Thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure I'm making the right decision

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Heres the way I see it, the dana 60 is a nicety you don't have to have it, the tires you have to have, so see if you can follow my logic here get the 60, cause you will figure out a way to get the tires cause you gotta have them. :D

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I second that one. Go with the axle. Your gonna need tires so go with the axle and force yourself to work on getting money together for tires. :D

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Bigger, fresher tires are just going to help you break that 10-bolt more effectively.... :D

You can always buy a cheap, used set of tires, or military surplus tires for maybe $200/set. The same can almost never be said about a D60.

10. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

If you mostly do mud, I don't see the point of a beefier front axle. Adding more weight up there will help you sink faster, and the difference in size would tend to push more mud, I would think. I was always under the impression that getting a D60 was most useful when you were in places that you really needed to crawl, so it could handle to torque when you got caught up.

I would go for the tires, mostly since they will allow you to get through the mud. You won't be mudding without the tires, but you will be mudding without the D60.

Besides, if you *do* happen to break the 10-bolt, you can find replacement parts for cheap.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd have too get the Dana 60 front axle. Cheap used tires will get ya by for now, but a 1/2 ton axle won't hold up to large tires very long. By the way, I've seen mud and 36's kill Dana 44s and 10 bolts.

12. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

got mine for 400$ as well so if you look you could get one for less than a grand then have $$ left over to help buy new rims for the 8 lug set up

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

D60.

Thats more of a "would like to have" item and is much harder to pass by the wife when you don't have the extra cash. Tires are a "must have" and are easier to force passed the wife.

Mike

14. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Someone here uses the phrase fix it before it breaks. Words to live by. Have a look around. One of my buddies scored D60, 14bff with 38's for $1400. He bet me too that one. :mad: But I just found my axles, sitting under a k30 in the woods. :bow: Don't rush into it, have a good look around.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If its one or the other, you have to have tires. You may look around and find both for $1000.

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not in the mud I run cause you gotta have big tires if you wanna play in the deep holes and big tires snap axles

17. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

go with the tires and romp it til it breaks

18. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I played that game when I was in school, I ended up with a locked and regeared 14FF, turns out it doesn't help if you have no traction, end result was a wrecked burb from bald tires on a wet curve.....

19. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

Ive had my 39.5s on my dana44 front for a year with no problems. I say get the tires

20. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

get tires first