Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decision time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by freeflow, Feb 17, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Ok im trying to figure out where i wanna go with this build.

Right now the body is sitting on the frame-not bolted back down yet tho, and i was thinking about rebuilding the 454 to put back in there. But the gas mileage would really suck-250 miles out of 40 gallons of gas:eek1:

So im thinking of pulling the body back off and boxing the frame in, then putting a diesel in it. But what diesel should i use- i would like to go with a cummins but thats alot of money. And if i go with the 6.2 they dont make much power, and with 5.13 gears and a 400 trans i would be pulling alot of rpms- what kind of mileage would i get out of that combo?:confused:

Or i could just start saving for a newer diesel truck-probably have 2 take out a loan to get one- then the burban project would pretty much stops cause of lack of funds.

brad

So kind of a big decision and i figured i would get your opinions before i decide.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Why do expect only 6 mpg out of the 454 in a Suburban? Is that about par for that combo?

3. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

my dad's got a 95 1 ton dual it gets about 12 mpg that is tbi of course

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

yeah 454- turbo 400 5.13 gears and its a very heavy truck so im guessing around 6-7 mpg

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I look at single-digit MPG as part and parcel of driving a very heavy vehicle with a peppy engine, especially when Mister Foot has the hots for Miss Floor (it's an ongoing affair in my K5). With my lead foot, I probably get about 8 mpg or so in town.

It gets pretty cold here, though maybe not quite as chilly as Minnesota, and I am fond of the way a well-tuned gasoline engine fires up at the first starter nudge when it's a few dozen degrees south of frost on the pumpkin. Being a daily driver in town, I also like having enough torque and horsepower under the hood to get me to the speed limit very quickly.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Do you need a big block?

7. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

I got a complete 454 in the garage-needs a rebuild

But im currently driving a 97 cavalier for my dd, and well i want a truck again for my dd:D

So if i go with the burb for the dd i wanna put a diesel in it so i dont go broke within a month.

What i think i wanna do is box the burban frame and put a newer chevy truck body on it- WOULD like a 95 chevy extended cab short box fit on the frame? i know i would need new mounts and stuff but like total lenght and everything?

thanks
    brad