Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decisions....decisions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stock93, Jun 27, 2004.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I'm trying to decide what to do with my truck. The axles seals went out in my 10 bolt front end. I tore it down and I need ujoints, seals, all bearings, brakes, and the spindles themselves had stripped the threads. I'm running 36s so I'm very hesitant to put $500 into the 10 bolt. I need to regear to 4.56 anyway. I have a 4.56 14bff thats not installed due to the gears not matching. I definately want to put this axle in but cant right now due to the gearing. I've been trying to find a dana 60 but everyone wants at least $1500+ for one plus regearing. Being a student I just dont have that kind of money. Do you guys think it would be worth while to find an 8 lug 4.56 geared 10 bolt? Should I just wait until I can afford a dana 60? Just put the 10 bolt back together and not mess with it right now? Its pulling steady jackstand duty right now and I really need to be able to drive it.

John

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i would look for a dana44 and use your 8 lug setup.. unless you are really wheeling it hard no need for the dana60

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I would look for a 4.56 8-lug 10 bolt or dana 44. You should be able to get one for less than the $500 that you say it will take to rebuild what you have, then you will not have the expense of re-gearing. A 10 bolt or d44 will be fine with 36's as long as you are not very abusive.

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, your in 'Bama. I have an 8 lug, 10 bolt w/ 4.56 gears, open, new Warn hubs, it's ready to go. It's complete. Out of my 'Burb. I'll P.M. you.