Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decisions, Decisions,.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAD LUCK 79', Jul 24, 2002.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Alright guys... i've searched and searched through the posts with only one conclusion... everyone is totaly crazy and cannot make up there minds.. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but besides that i'm taking a month worth of leave starting next week and heading back into beautiful West By God Virginia... oh and hitting up every junk yard i come to .... I'm undecided on what to go with.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif curently i have 350,th350,np203,d44,12b and i plan on doin some serious offroading,mudding.. minimum tires will be 38.5 TSL's .. for ease of finding parts and prices i think i'll stick with the 350... maybe upgrade to a 700r4 transmission, i have no clue what transfer case mounts to the 700r4 so i'm gonna look for the combo still in a truck... i would prefer to have a stick but again... the pro's and con's between stick/automatic are about even with me... ok now to ya'lls favorite thing... AXLES!!!!! just for the sake of saving some cash later i wouldn't mind keepin the d44...plus i can save on some weight in the long run up front by keeping it... although just for the extra strength i wouldn't mind goin d60..... rear axle 12 bolt... i could spend the cash on axle trusses for both front and rear... then swap out the drums for disk in the rear... and upgrade both for 8 lug or even 10 lug setups... or go ahead and get a d60 or 14ff rear... clearance between these two don't really matter to me... after shaving the 14 bolt .. there's about half an inch differance... no big deal.. if i'm gonna get stuck i'm gonna get stuck... that's why i'm gettin a whinch... also while i'm makin this post for upgrades.. i'm thinking 6" lift... what brand do ya'll recomend...??? oh yea and another thing before grim deletes this post... when am i gonna be orange??? i still haven't got a reply back .... ok grim you can kill me now....... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

thanks ya'll...

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i bought my 1/2 ton burb, and should have built it right from the begining, instead of wasteing all that time. like changeing the gears in my 10 bolts.. just go for it and do it right, well thats my opinion, it may not be right for you.. i'd go 1 ton everything...

the 700 came with a 208 transfer case, which works with 1/2 ton stuff, but if you plan on running a 60 and 14 bolt get rid of the 208 and go with a 205... with that said you would need an expensive adapter to fit the 205 to a 700... so its a toss up...

as far as the lift goes , i used www.jackit.com because they put together a nice kit so you have everything you need to get it assembled in a weekend, sure it might be a litte more but it was worth it..

3. BAD LUCK 79'

thanks for the input man... i'll keep all that in mind...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

We've covered axles, gears, transmissions, lifts, and transfer cases until our fingers hurt. Do yourself a favor and do a search.

If I were you, i'd do lift and tires now and wheels and axles later.

5. BAD LUCK 79'

ok i've narrowed it down a bit... i'm gonna pick up another 350 block and build it up to a 383... keep the d44 in front with a few upgrades and axle truss. the new parts to add are np205 transfer case, 14bff in the rear, 4:10 gears in both... but i'm still stuck on the transmission... can anyone give me some pro's/con's of the 700r4 and a manual transmission that would work between the 350 and np205??? i'm seriously thinking of converting to a stick....

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    From what I've read on here if you wanna run a 700 and a 205, your going to need to tear down the whole 700 so that you can swap the output shaft with an expensive Advanced Adapters output shaft that will work with the 205, and then you'll have to find the tranny to transfercase adapter. If you go with the manual you'll be able to find one already bolted up to a 205 that you can bolt in. You'll have to mess with clutch linkages and that stuff, but the money that you saved by not tearing down the 700 and buying expensive parts for it you can use to buy some of those nice driveshafts from high angle driveline.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

holy sh*t there are expensive..if you wanna get the 4 inch from them with the rear springs is that the one thats 1000 bucks!!?? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Bryan

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well theyre lift is 1000 and my BDS was like 1100 but i had alot of extra goodies /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I like my BDS, so id say go with it. My 4" is close to 6" and when my truck was driveable /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif it rode great, even with dual shocks.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The cons to the manual I would say, is gear spacing and no OD. For an automatic, the 1-2 spacing on the 700 is bad, but you are looking at almost 1 full ratio on every shift of the 465, except the excellent for crawling 6.55:1 low(1st) but everything else is essentially 3, 2, 1:1 ratio....I believe the 2-3 shift is a larger drop than that (sure seems like it) but with a more powerful motor, I don't think it will be as much of an issue.

OD can be less of an issue with the 465 if you run a little lower numerically axle ratio...you'll have the 6.55 1st to compensate.

It's not that I'm complaining, though I've lost more than a couple stoplight challenges because of that spacing with the SBC350. (which is no powerhouse in my truck) Not that a K5 is a race car, but if you drive it hard, or like to bang gears quickly, the 465 really isn't a tranny for that. Not saying you *can't* shift fast, the gears are simply too far apart to make it a lot of fun. (or even worthwhile) Yes, I drive mine "hard".

Everything else goes to the 465 though. Strength, fun to drive, lower 1st gear, no cooling lines or pan to leak, etc.

One thing I'd suggest is the hydraulic setup though, I'm not sure how everyone elses mechanical setup is, but the one in my dads truck (mech) is painful to drive compared to mine. (hyde.) Don't think his is "set up" right, but still. one less thing to worry about with a hyde. setup.

I don't think you'd ever regret going with the 465, but with the 700, the first rebuild you had to pay for would likely make you regret your choice.

10. BAD LUCK 79'

Thanks alot for the input... i really miss having a stick shift... as for the clutch.. it don't matter to me right now if it's mech/hyd... i can deal with a mechanical setup for the time being until i can upgrade it to hydraulic... any idea what years and such the 465 came in?? i can't really find a good list anywhere on the web.... oh and the 350 thing i think just got shot in the foot... my dad found a 454 for sale back home.... god all that power..... ooo sorry... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ... oh and what transfer case do ya think would be good to go with this setup???? would a 205 work in real good... or will it be another expensive upgrade like with the 700r4????

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You should be able to find a 465/205 combe for pretty cheap, I've seen them for anywhere from free to maybe $150-$200 on average for the pair. I think there's even some in the For Sale section right now. The 465/205 combo came in literally millions of trucks in the late 70s and early 80s.</font color>

12. dyeager535

Yeah, as has been mentioned, the setups can be had pretty cheap. 465/205 would be the direction I'd take, (and did take) especially if considering a Big Block later on.

The mechanical setups (pedals, linkage, bellhousings) are a dime a dozen basically. The hyde. stuff is hard to find, it was only '85-up.

13. BAD LUCK 79'

what is the range of blocks i can mount a 465 up to without to much hassle and $$$$ like if that 454 my dad found turns out to be a good deal... will a 465/205 combo work well with it??? also another question to the others.... when i install a locker.. is it recomended that i install one in the front and rear..or only in the rear??? i'd like to go with an ABR setup .. but alas the 14bff doesn't have one yet.. but if i go dana60 in the rear i can install an ABR.... i know .. i'm full of questions... belive me .. the last 3-4 days i've been searching the forums and i'm still running in circles....gotta get my shopping list ready before i go on leave... but the info your giving me is getting me one step closer to deciding...... i appreciate all the help.......

14. dyeager535

SBC BBC and 6.2/6.5 diesel all use the same bolt pattern for transmission bellhousing, so no worries what motor you end up on. Not sure how many different I6 motors GM used, but the I6 that was used in the trucks also has the same bellhousing pattern I'd bet.

The 465/205 combo is going to be one of the few that you will be able to use (and get cheaply) that will stand up to almost any level of power and abuse you want to hand it.

As to lockers, if you do any play in hilly areas with snow, I think I'd stay away from a front locker that you couldn't engage/disengage at will. Not sure if I'd be here today if I had a front locker in my truck last winter. Flat ground or no snow, I don't think I'd worry as much about having a front locker or posi...it definitely can make a rig much more capable with all 4 wheels helping.

15. BAD LUCK 79'

crap... i think i'm gonna kill my dad now.... i keep thinking of the 454.... well i guess if i'm gonna upgrade it might as well be a full setup.... my final decision... 454 (if it's still there next week) 465/205 d60/14bff.. might as well go all the way... and i can just weld up the spiders for the time being till the 14b abr set up comes out... or maybe a detroit... i'll worry about that later.... now on to more searching... time to decide on a lift.... woo hoo... my list is finnaly comeing together...thanks....