Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decisions on new rig

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewMexK5, Apr 19, 2005.

?

What lift and tire combo?

1. 2.5" lift and a set of 35" MT's or 36" TSL's

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 4" lift and a set of 37's or 38's

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. The hell with it, 10" lift 44" Boggers or wait for 47" LTB's

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

I just got a new to me, '72 Jimmy a while back and am now starting to get interested in doing a lift and adding some new tires. Since the '77 is almost done for now. Just wanted to know some of your opinions.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't think you're gonna be able to fit 35's with a 2.5" lift without some chopping, but 4" and 35's looks pretty good as long as you don't stuff the wheel wells very often.

3. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

I've been eyeing Greg72's rig for a few years and was thinking of trimming a little like that to fit the 35's. It sits stock right now with sagging springs and I have 33" Mickey Thompsons on it. Just hard to lift it the same height as my '77(4", but 38.5s).

Thanks for the advice.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You'd better PM me for details before you get TOO far down the path on that '72. :deal:

There are some obvious (and some NOT so obvious) changes that I made to allow me to run the current tire/lift combo I'm using. Of course if you've REALLY been paying attention for a couple of years, you might already have compiled a list of all my "tricks"....
    :cool1:

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I know what you mean, I just put 33's on my '72 (4", not trimming) and they still look small.

There's another member with a really nice trim job "LucasJ03" I think. If you look in the Garage at the "K5 Transformation" thread there are some nice pics, and in the first gen forum there was one as well. Greg72's looks nice but I've only seen pics from the front, so I don't know what the trimming is like.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

"WANNA SEE LOTS OF PICS?"

hint hint hint..... I can't make it any more simple can I??? :D

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Nice. I guess I'm an idiot for never looking at that link, there's some great stuff there. I'm hoping the "stop leaky 205" will help me out!

That is some nice trimming, I like the way the front fender was redone.

8. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

I've looked at LucasJ's and that thing is awesome. That is kind of what I am leaning towards, around 4-6 inches and 36" TSL's or radials.

Greg your rig was one of the first that caught my eye when I found CK5, but that was also back when the ORD Jimmy had a full set of body panels and the UAV had All Terrains. :blush:

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

One trick: :hack:
    If you've been hanging out in some of the other forums you may find 38's and 4" lift possible with a lot of :hack:
    Custom comes one sawzall blade at a time. :shame: :1zhelp:

Honestly, when i'm flexed out good my 38's still rub with 6" lift and a lot of fender hacking. For 37-38's 6" lift is about right and still have to trim the fenders if your gonna flex it out.