Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

decisions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Dec 20, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Been running in 4wd with the snow lately and am sick of hearing my fount axle joints screaming. So tomorrow morning Im going to replace them. First question
    should I
    A drive the truck 22 miles to work and put it on the hoist and do them
    or
    B pull it in the garage fire up the torpedo and have at it

(both are set up fairly euqually except for one has heat one has a torpedo and work has a hoist)

Next question, since im in there should I just do the ball joints too they are tight now but since im there......
    what does every body think

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

my $.02 worth
    warm and tosty stay at home avoid insane holiday traffic wins for me every time :-)
    and ball joints
    " if it aint brok dont fix it "
    R

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about the ball joints, unless they are loose. The only thing i would do Is (if the joints have been replaced) is grease them up well. The upper ball joints sometimes have a plug in the grease port and you can't grease them when axel shafts are in. You can remove plug and install a zerk fitting and grease them up. I would also grease the torington bearing on the inside of the spindle(often forgotten) and clean\repack wheel bearings.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This is a dammed if you do damned if you don't.
    Chances are the ball joints are loose if you been running it long enough to blow out the u-joints.

Now to really make your day. There is a pretty good chance your going to end up with a leak at the axle shaft seals after this if they are as old as I bet they are. Changing them is a real pain in the butt and involves removing the front diff.