Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

deck width?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by jekbrown, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my K5 has 1 ton axles from an 85 K30 and 39.5" TSLs. How wide of a trailer do I need? What do you guys use? I see lots of 6' or 6.5' wide by 20' long trailers... that gonna be enough?? For some reason, tire hanging off each side scares me. lol! Is there a general rule about this or... is it just a common sense kinda thing (enough deck for the tires to sit on)??? I'm such a trailering noob... but I need to figure it all out, because when I buy a house its the only way my K5 is coming with me. lol!

j

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I have SRW d60 van width 14b, 38x12.50, 2.5" backspacing rims. And outside tire to outside tire is 88". Most bumper pull trailers are 82-84" inside the fenders. Gooseneck trailers with the deck above the tires is alot wider.

If i get a bumper pull, im building ramps over the fenders. here is what others have done- http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178259

3. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There also are some over the axle flat deck (deckover) trailers that work very well for hauling offroad trucks or ATVs. You could get a PJ or Kaufman Trailer that are 16 foot flat deck plus a 3 foot dovetail with 5 foot folding ramps. http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=F8
    A little more money then your basis car trailer but also built for a lot more weight, usually 12K#

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already mentioned most low deck trailers only go up to about 83" between the fenders which is usually not wide enough if you have wider tires and rims on a K5. My K5 has a SRW Dana 60 front, 10" wide rims with about 4.5" BS, and 13" wide tires and sits right at 86-87" wide. I simply made some wood ramps over/next to the fenders that I drive the front tires on. The weight disbribution works out really good with the back tires pulled up against the start of the ramps.

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have a 8'X16' utility trailer and mine is 84" accross. I have about a 1/2" on each side of the tire.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I pull a 96" wide deckover. it is not a fifth wheel, standard tag along. My truck is 92" sidewall to sidewall. I bought the trailer of a friend so I got it cheap used. it is a 10K gvw. It has a 16ft deck with 3ft beavertail. It is not long enough. I have to have the truck all the way back against the ramps to set the weight right.

Eventually I will buy a new one and sell this one. 102" wide with a 20ft deck and 4ft beaver would be ideal. Get something with a deck -the beavertail that is longer then the overall length of your truck. that way you can play around with positioning for weight. and if you need to hauler something longer in the future you won't have problems.

In this area a new deckover is $4000 plus. thankfully trailers hold their resale value well.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My lowdeck car hauler I just bought is 83" between the fenders. With a 10b front, 37" MTR's, & 4.125" BS I can squeeze between the fenders. Therobzilla used my trailer with the same setup except 2.5" BS & he had to crawl over 1 fender to get it on the trailer. The deck itself is wider then 83".

Harley