Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decoding the Numbers.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaggyk5, Mar 21, 2002.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Ok. Im doing a new motor this summer. basic 383. Have heads and a block at a buddies place that i can use. This motor was together and running 1 year ago, but got dismantled when the truck was junked. So Im pretty sure the parts are all good. I need to know where to look on the block and the heads to find all the casting #'s so I can get the info on these things. I'll be ovr there tomorrow to get the #'s, so where do I look?
    Also, if you could point me towards and sites on the net to look the #'s up once i get them, it would be mighty helpful. Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Heads are cast in the rocker arm valley under the valve cover.
    Block, passenger side, front corner stamped on a machined boss. It can be seen with the heads on but usually hidden behind the alternator.

Decoding site... www.mortec.com

Rene

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i dont have to worry about the alternator, this motor was completely disassembled when the truck was torn apart. thanks man. Anyone for the website to look them up on?

4. 73 K5 Blazer

73 K5 Blazer 1/2 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.nastyz28.com search around on the tech section (I think) for the suffix codes. Suffix codes really aren't going to tell you much if cam and all that has been changed. It will tell you CID, and original application and HP, but that CID is the only thing that matters if everything else is being changed. Casting number CAN tell you some info too, but all differences are pretty much visibly apparent. (one, two piece rear main, bore size, etc)

6. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree with all the posts, I allways use mortec.com to look this stuff up. If the block has been surfaced the numbers probably will not be on the pad thats in front of the passengers side head. If this is the case you can get the casting number off the back of the block, just up from where the bellhousing bolts on.