Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Decoding VINs for CUT-V's online?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 22, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Decoding VINs for CUT-V\'s online?

Does anyone know where I can find a place online to decode the VIN number from a CUT-V that I have found for sale? I would just like to know all its options before I make a dumb mistake like bidding on it... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: Decoding VINs for CUT-V\'s online? *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by laketex

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Decoding VINs for CUT-V\'s online?

pm'ed you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

You had to go be an ass about it didn't you? The damn PDF file lists them as "CUT-V" Chevy trucks. You want me to post it out here so everyone can read it you cynical bastard? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

"CLUELESS IN VIGINIA"

OK. How does one guy delete another's post? Why would he delete it? What the heck was wrong with the guy's post about a cut v ? What's a cut v?
    Not trying to be smart either. I wouldn't have any part of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

So Tom... as rediculous as the subject line reads... I am telling you that the site listing the truck(s) for sale are calling them CUT-Vs.

I'm not sure what all your post is about... seeing as I really can't comprehend it very well:

[ QUOTE ]
    "CLUELESS IN VIGINIA"

OK. How does one guy delete another's post? Why would he delete it? What the heck was wrong with the guy's post about a cut v ? What's a cut v? Not trying to be smart either. I wouldn't have any part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Maybe you would like to explain what you are talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

7. gumneck

Dan,
    The reason for the title "clueless in va" was b/c I didn't understand why/how your post could be deleted by the guy who replied to your initial post. The second post said message deleted didn't it?
    That's all my post was about. That's why I asked the questions why/how/what. What's a cut V?
    Simple!
    I'll leave out the title's for now on so as not to confuse anyone.

8. KRAZIE87K5

Sorry to drag you into that whole mess Tom, but Laketex is actually a local buddy of mine. Not to worry... I'll be sure to rough him up some for this misunderstanding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some people in the military still call them CUTV's as well, it's just not correct.

No real biggie though, not surprised others are calling them that too. Kinda like HMMWV. Is that a silent W or something when you pronounce it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

Well good. At least its a legitimate mistake then. Sorry to get everyone all worked up! Thanks for straigtening this mess out Dorian! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

11. gumneck

That's fine. I'll just be the only idiot on here who don't know sh*! about cut v's.

But could someone offer up advice about fluid qty. in the 10 bolt rear for my 91'K5. I put a little more than 2.5 qts of Valvoline 80w90 in last night after changing axle seals etc. It started running out at about 2.5 qts so I figgered that was enough.

tks,
    tom

12. KRAZIE87K5

As long as the housing is level, and there is fluid coming out the fill hole after 2.5 qts, you are good to go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

13. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I thought the "correct" pronunciation was "CUCK-V"? As in CUCV. Oh well...

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

As far as I know they are decoded just like a regular VIN. The few I've looked at have a normal VIN format with some abnormal codes. All I've looked at is the Dodge ones from the late 70s and the 84-86 GM ones.

I don't know about the 96-01 ones. I know the 6.5TDs all had the same body and most of them had the same options and those that weren't were converted by someone else after GM made them. AMG makes the 6.5TD now...

I've never heard of a CUT-V. I believe that's just how people say it. It sounds a lot better to pronounce CUCV as "cut-vee" than to say "cock-vee" I guess. Us rednecks from the backwoods say "see-you-see-vee" or M-whatever.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

It was always CUT-V AND HUMVEE 'round my parts when I was in.......

And one other thing, nice hijack!!!!

16. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Dan, do a google search under Andy's CUCV site and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've always pronounced it the redneck way, too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BTW, I've got a decoder book at home and have checked the VIN on an M1008 I once had and the numbers were easily cross referenced thru the same book.

In other words, the civilian model trucks and CUCV share the same decoding numbers/letters. Different numbers/letters represent different plants, sizes, engines, GVWR, etc. etc.

If anybody needs help with decoding numbers, let me know and I will check my RPO book at home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif