Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

deep cycle marine battery? will it work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, May 16, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

can i use a deep cycle marine battery in my blazer? i donnt really understand how the deep cycle batries work. right now somethimes when i have my brights on and i try to roll up the windows there is a major shortage on battery juce. everything starts dimming and brightens as the alternator turns over. i have to shut off the lights in order to put the windows up. the alternator seems new too, its much shinier thatn the rest of the engine bay.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

deep cycle means that it can be drawn upon heavily without causing permanant damage , it can be discharged many times without damage. A heay duty alternator should be used in conjunction with a deep cycle. as to your problem I would say check out the output of the alternator , maybe a smaller diameter pulley on it, or turn the engine idle up slightly, or maybe your window regulators are drawing too much amperage, check the alternator first. hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Deep cycle batteries are not made for engine starting.

I wouldn't run one as a primary battery.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its not that its not recommended. There's no problem with doing it. Its just that the deep cycles cant discharge enough out that is needed during starting- to properly size the same CCA's out of a deep cycle as a standard car batt, you would need almost a 75% increase in battery size. Hence, it dont fit in most engine bays. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif