Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deep question:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, May 16, 2002.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Why does it seem like the more I modify the truck, the more prone to breakages and breakdowns it becomes? I watch these rednecks from this area beat the snot out of thier stock trucks, rev the old smokin engine at 8000rpm, jam the tranny from reverse to fwd, rod thru every mud hole at top speed, leak all kinds of fluid all over the place, slam thru the trees, jump the thing etc etc etc. Then they drive the thing back home and the next week they are out again after never even checking the oil, let alone greasing, or maintenance. Then along comes Mike, driving slow, sober, sensible, built with some of the best stuff I can get, after maintaining the thing for the last 2 weeks, and lo and behold, I cant make it home without hearing a noise that means another u-joint, or wheel bearing, or driveshaft, or brake problem and so on...
    Does anyone else notice this? Anyone else have this problem?
    I dont get it. Oh well, this is my vent.

Mike

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea I know what you mean - you gotta believe in the long run you'll win!

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

it is a question that has plagued mankind for centuries...

Later

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

yeap, i know what you mean. i used to enjoy riding my blazer with 33 and stock suspension. now with 35s and 4" lift i hardly get to ride it/forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

ARQ.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Every time I break something, I replace it with something better. Are you telling me when I'm done replacing everything I'll have to start all over? Hey ARQ, finally got my 38's on with the 4" lift and no rubbing!

... unless I hit a bump or turn the wheel /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I start hacking tomorrow!

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have come to the conclusion that the better you treat your rig, the worse she treats you. There was a time that the slightest problem would get my immediate attention, which always seemed to lead to more and more work/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif.....

One day I got my 84 running nicely and promised myself that the next money I spent on the ol' girl would be NECESSARY!!!!!

Believe it or not, I went over a year without putting one dime(other than maintenance) into the truck. Can you guess what happened the next time the truck needed some attention? That's right--------------> repair after repair for four months./forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyhow, don't feel bad, Mikey!!!! I spend a great deal of time making sure my baby looks and runs good, and there's enough rigs around town thatr get washed once a month and seem to run better than mine .......... I think I'm in debt to the truck god!!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif]

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It is a funny thing about trucks. Joe Dumbass can run full out with 44's on a 10 bolt and be fine. But we can break the damn things with 31's running over a curb. I think it is because they don't know it is supposed to break with the 44's on there, but we know better so they break.

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I guess I beat the odds. I haven't had anything go wrong in a couple of years and that was a fuel pump. But watch, since I said that I'm going to be replacing every U-joint this weekend. DOH

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ignorance is bliss.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't break more often. What it is is that I am able to find things wrong that I didn't know were wrong before so I spend a lot of time fixing stuff that I would never have known was broken before.
    On my old truck, I ran it with a crack in the frame until it almost severed in two. I think the gas tank was holding the two pieces of frame together!!
    I have a small crack now and the truck's been sitting until I get it fixed.
    I['ve spent several off days rewiring everything getting rid of clutter and fixing stuff that doesn't work. Hell, I spent 2 hours yesterday fixing the cigarette lighter!
    -- Mike

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

When I first bought my truck I didn't honestly know jack. I wanted a big truck, that all... I did stupid stuff with it, and I mean stupid stuff like jumping it off big dirt mounds and never broke a thing. Then I discover this site and start to learn, read and do stuff to make it better.... now it seems I do grandma stuff and break all the time.... it's ticking me off!! I think I might start the redneck way and see what happens....!!

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well my luck is just like yours! I have bad vibes from the driveshaft after replacing it all u-joints etc! seems like anything that I fix it breaks more often yet my buddy with a 86 bronco rags his truck...drives it with 3.55's or wahtever on 33's with a no OD tranny and just all out rags his truck and never breaks...I swear he thinks its meant to be a race truck that 351 never stays below 5,000rpm for more than 5min.....he'll drive it for an hour on the interstate with no oil and when the knocking gets bad he'll stop and add oil. I spend weeks under my truck, rebuilding parts, changing fluids, maintaining and greasing all to have something else start acting up.... Only advantage i have is that I actually get about 12-13mpg city and 14-15mpg interstate while he gets about 6-8 around town and 10mpg interstate...and i can travel with peice of mind...yet he always knows something should break while he is on a road trip yet it never does...I think ignorance saves him from breaking anything...if he knew it was supposed to break it probably would.

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Whew... so its not just me! I feel better now.

Laters, gotta go fix sumthin. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mike

14. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just had a discussion with a Bud tonight about this exact same thing! I came to the conclusion that it has to do with "BALANCE". Our rigs came from the factory with small tires and weak axles, but it was balanced and it would wheel with the best of them. As soon as you lift it and get bigger meats it throws off the driveshaft angles and you need to upgrade the drivetrain. So unless you do everything all at once, from the start ie: Lift, Tires/ 14b/D60/1 Ton CV's/ Crossover w/ hydro/ Doubler/ etc... you'll have an unballanced rig until you get to the end (if it exists). My rig is at the half way point right now so it shakes, wobbles, rattles and tosses parts all over the place! And I have yet to wheel it hard... can someone please remind me why we do it!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Because it is Built not Bought and we built it..