Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deep sea fishing

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by heavy4x4, Mar 21, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

This past Wednesday I was in Florida for my spring break. My friend's Dad treated my friend and I to a deep sea fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico. It was a great time. We went out about 30 miles from shore and were out there for a good 6 hours. Another hour and I would have lost my lunch...the ocean was very rough.

I've never been deep sea fishing before but would do it again. I pulled up 3 Groupers that were 20" long or more (cooler-worthy) and many smaller ones. We also trolled for some Kingfish but didn't get any.

Anybody else done some deep-sea fishing?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Deep sea fishing is lotsa fun- usually in the northeast, we go for blue fish or fluke.

I did a few weeks ago get to go out on the coast of florida. it was beautiful out there. Too bad the water was so choppy, and the boat was going from side to side, I lost my lunch. But the people who didnt sure caught some pretty fish!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used to go out to the Gulf Stream off Ft. Pierce, FL. It's only 13 miles offshore there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We would troll with a couple of rigged ballyhoo for kingfish, sailfish, wahoo, etc. The most fun I've ever had catching a fish was when I hooked into a wahoo that was over 5 feet long. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Me and some coworkers went back in October. Went about 5 miles out. Caught a lot of sea bass mostly and they were very yummy. Next month we are all supposed to go out for a tuna trip

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

6. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Nice wahoo. I caught one about the same size (40lbs) off of lauderdale last summer. Never seen a fish that size burn off line so quick! One of the best fish to eat as well.

7. BowtieBlazer

mine was 45 and yep, the line was nothign but ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. HarryH3

I caught mine right in the Gulf Stream, which is nearly mountain-stream-clear. On the first strike at the bait, it came completely out of the water, but missed! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A few seconds later he hit it again and got the hook. He ran out a LOT of 80 lb. test line before I could finally start cranking him back towards the boat. We could see him way down in the water because of the clarity and bright sun. Lots of flickering and flashing as he moved around.

He finally tired enough that I could start bringing him in closer. Then, just as he got within 15-20 feet of the boat, he rolled to the side, saw me and got a surge of adrenaline or something as he just swam away again. The drag on the reel was singing like mad as he disappeared off into the distance. 10 minutes later, I had him back near the boat again but he saw me and once again just swam away! I was using one of those VERY stiff rods with pulley wheels at each eye and he would just bend it like a fly rod as he fought. The reel was about the size of an ATV winch and took lots of cranking to bring in much line. I was getting pretty tired by the time I had him near the boat for a 3rd time. But finally we were able to get a gaff in him! That was definitely the most fun I have ever had while fishing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now I live in Colorado, where most fishermen are happy to catch a trout that is about the size of the ballyhoo we used to use for bait in Florida. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I live in Colorado, where most fishermen are happy to catch a trout that is about the size of the ballyhoo we used to use for bait in Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA, ain't that the truth. Most of the fishing I've done in Wisconsin has been for panfish. When I went deepsea fishing we stopped in a couple of areas on the way out and fished for bait (using 6 hooks per line and a little piece of squid on each). It was great reeling in your line with a couple fish on. Hell, I would have been happy to do that all day. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. HarryH3

Many years ago I rented an apartment right on the Banana River (really a very long salt water lagoon)in Eau Gallie, Florida. Many days after work I would go out on the dock and catch some little panfish right near the pilings. Then I'd rig it up and cast it way out into the water and wait... I caught a lot of really nice sized speckled trout that way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mmmm, yummy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

How big was your wahoo? My 40 pounder took about 15 min to get in. I'll post pics if i can find it. I have it printed out right here by my desk....

12. HarryH3

Mine never got weighed, but he was right around 5 feet long. I was fishing on the ex-father-in-laws boat that day, so he probably burned the pictures many years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

13. BowtieBlazer

yeah watching these field and streme shows on TV make me go ...HUH?!?! trout seem like nothing, like you said our bait fish would give teh trout a run for their money /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Venice, LA is really GREAT fishing. We go once or twice per year. Stay at the Cedar Cove. Fish with Peace Marvell on 26' Glacier Bays. It's a blast.

Usually though we fish out of Dauphin Island, AL or Orange Beach, AL. Good Grouper and Snapper fishing not too far from home. If you run approx 50-60 miles south by southwest you can fish the same grounds that we fish out of Venice. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah watching these field and streme shows on TV make me go ...HUH?!?! trout seem like nothing, like you said our bait fish would give teh trout a run for their money /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all about the size of your rod and tackle brother! I grew up on the Gulf (South Texas) and have done plenty of bay and deep sea fishing, and catching a nice 24" cutthroat on an ultra light rig can be pretty fun too. Also, I guess the lack of oxygen @ 10,000 feet makes it seem more strenuous. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I've been going out on my friend's 26' boston whaler. We've been fishing 60 to 75 miles out of Dauphin Island. The last trip out we got skunked but saw a lot of tuna feeding.We still haven't caught any yellowfin tuna yet. The gas prices are killing us. It burns about 100 gallons of gas on a typical trip out.

17. justwhatido

The Dauphin Island Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo 17th-19th of July.
    One of the oldest salt water fishing tournaments. Great time, great three day party.
    Anyone venturing to lower Alabama will have a blast. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

18. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I will be fishing the rodeo on my friend's 26' boston whaler. I'm not sure what we'll go after but it will be a
    blast. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. justwhatido

Not sure if we are gonna take a three day charter or fish a friend's Ocean Master. I'd rather fish the Ocean Master.

It's always a blast /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif