Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Defending the mighty K5!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Jun 22, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

At work, I got double teamed by some of my co-workers telling me that I should get rid of my blazer and buy a new (yuck!) car. AAAHHHHH!

Them: You truck leaks
    Me: .....and.....
    Them: You have to fix things on your old "thing"
    Me: *Slap* It's not a "thing"! Okay, so I put maybe (what the average is so far) one or two hundred bucks a month into her. It's been stuff like lifts and little performance add ons. A "new" plastic POS would be at least a 500 dollar payment.
    Them: You don't have a/c
    Me: I have 2/60 a/c and it's very reliable.
    Them: A new car is more reliable
    Me: A new car is plastic. One fight with a grocery cart and it's finished. I would drive my K5 across the country with no worries. So what if I need to keep putting oil in her. She'd make it. *insert story of Rene's trip here*
    Them: A new car is already fast...you don't have to add stuff
    Me: Where's the fun in that? Besides, the new car would be the first to break is wittle suspension. Also, they are all 6 inches off the ground.
    Them: You can lift them
    Me: ya! For 1K!!!! I did mine for 400 bucks. Did you hear the part about the wittle suspension breaking?
    Them: Yours needs paint
    Me: ....so it's not a pretty shiney pansy car. Big deal! People I know wave to me cause they can pick out my blazer....everyone has a mommy mobile. I don't have to wash it...it looks the same dirty or clean [​IMG].
    Them: A new car has a better ride
    Me: it's a truck.

and it went on and on. Boy I'd like to kick their butt!

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Good job Lara ! ! [​IMG]

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick !

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I get that alot also...Most of the time its from my girlfriend.
    "Get something more reliable" I hear that about twice a day!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*Muddin throws header at co-workers*

Good job...I almost feel sorry for them, firstly because I know you won't back down in the defense of the mighty K5 and secondly because of their blind faith in the putrid crap being passed off as 'cutting edge' in todays cars...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Something I read many years ago:

"Drive old cars and live in a nice house".

Vehicles are depreciating assets. Why dump all your hard earned cash into buying new ones all the time? Buy an oldie and put the monthly cost difference into index funds. 20 years from now your friends will still be working to pay for their nice cars. You'll have a mountain of cash. Which sounds better to you? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

At risk of sounding like Queen Latifia or something... You go Girl!!! LMAO [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Most people have a vanity thing going on where they feel they must be in the latest thing (cars, fashion, trend) no matter how hollow it is. They feel inadequate without something to make-up for their lack of pesonality or individualism. I work for a major movie studio as a director of such and such. It's a cool job but nothing to take to serious. The trippy thing is all the people above and below my title are so all consumed with the "coolest" car or baby S.U.V. to get this year. They would rather spend 500.00 minumum a month to look, feel and be a clone. Yet they tell me I need to get rid of my rig.
    It's pretty sad. If you check the parking lot on the first floor there are 7 gold colored 4runners and 3 Lexus S.U.V. things. Some with brush guards for those rugged trips to the mall. It just proves that just because you have money you don't have to have taste.

http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html

8. muddin4fun

You're right. It's a status thing. People who drive old trucks and cars are poor. I say, nope....we're happy with who we are! I don't need to go and dump loads of money that I don't have to buy a status symbol. My K5 is mine. No body owns it but me.

9. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I like to think about it like this -- How cool would your K5 be if you actually tried to spend the $500 on it every month?

Nothing's more reliable than an old vehicle that's made up entirely of new parts. ;)

-Al.

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My grandparents' neighbor just bought one of those new Isuzu SUV things, and it doesn't have the ability to get out of their driveway without dragging the undercarriage. I'd bet that they wish they'd kept their "old" and not so impressive S10 Blazer (really sharp black ZR2). Oh well, people never learn.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

11. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

12. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

wow, I wish a little of that would rub off on my wife... lmao

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

HarryH3 you are right on, you know what Sam Walton's vehicle of choice was? An old beat to hell Chevy P/U. Muddin, you should have also said, "where's your keys, follow me."

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

14. muddin4fun

They wouldn't take me up on it. I tried. Prolly worried that I would pull their wittle bumper off. [​IMG]

Hmm.....solo has me thinking. Should I start up a "Wife/GF reformation clinic"? hee hee! I could be bloody rich I say!!!

15. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

My uncle always asks me "what are you doing to that peice
    of S##T now" my reply everytime is "I was not aware I was driving a F@@D" (he is a F@@D man) and that usually shuts him up :&gt;)

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

16. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

2 words Paid For

Thats all to say

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hahaha. I love my old trucks! Screw new, screw Air bags, Screw ABS (cause if it is single channel like on most trucks it can get you in more trouble that regular brakes. 3 times in the company van it almost caused an accident. locked one wheel and it let off the brakes on the other 3 and ran me out in traffic.)
    Do you know in 88 a Suburban LOADED was about $20k. What has changed so much to warrant $40k now...nothing. It's less capable, More to break, it's all plastic inside now, The one Gain was yes it rides better. If I want a better ride I would have bought a Caddie not a truck!
    To bad your not closer to Huston and was dragging their little 4runners out of the drink and going through 40 inches of water while doing it LOL.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

18. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

You tell 'em girl!

As far as I'm concerned, new cars are bland, characterless, boring, small, plastic, ugly pieces of junk, with very few exceptions these days. It's a very sad situation, that you folks in the U.S. traditionally have had big, great looking cars with proper engines, and now your domestic manufacturers' cars have little to distinguish them from European and Japanese cars.

I would much rather put my money into restoring my K5 to 'as-new' condition than buy a new truck, which is exactly what I'm going to do.

19. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Sniff.. Sniff..
    Great story Lara.. way to stick it to em. !!!! [​IMG]

A well armed society is a polite society. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</A>

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

AMEN Harry!!! [​IMG]

I found out the hard way too! We had a '95 Z-71 at one point and the payments were close to $400.00 per month. We got rid of that and bout a $4000.00 car where the payments are around $200.00 per month. Extra money leftover!!! [​IMG]

BTW, for anybody's personal info, I drive an '85 Olds Ninety Eight for my daily driver. Its got the 3.8 V-6 and its a four door. I paid $300.00 for it and insurance only runs me $12.00 per month. I fill it up about once or twice a month and thats it. Can you say CHEAP!!! [​IMG] Heres all that extra money going to other bills and to fixing up the trucks too!!!

BTW, ask tRusty (Rene) about my beater! He heard it run. He saw how 'pretty' it looked, and that was at night!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>