Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Defense Cargo Strays

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Semi runs off of interstate

A semi tractor-trailer truck carrying 14,880 pounds of demolition charges and 1,666 pounds of detonating chord ran off Interstate 80 near Kearney, Ne. early Wednesday.

Kearney Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Martinosky says the live ammunition remained secure inside wooden crates in the trailer.

He says if it would have exploded, it would have just been one big boom. But he says there really were no hazardous release concerns to anybody in the area.

Nebraska State Patrol Sergeant Leroy Jones says weather may have been a factor in the 1:15 a.m. accident. There was wind, rain and lightening at the time.

The truck cargo was U.S. Department of Defense explosives. Jones says the truck and trailer remained upright. There were no injuries.

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Jesus, I live right off I-70 on the CO./Utah border, they transport some serious crap down I-70 and I'm always worrying about spills. The disposal trucks go straight through here to Yucca Mountain with all sorts of nuclear energy/weapons waste.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think det cord and explosives would be in the same truck, but I could be wrong.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how big of an explosision would that have caused?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how big of an explosision would that have caused?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big enough to make a nice smoking hole in the ground and turn the truck driver's day sour in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think det cord and explosives would be in the same truck, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ] I copied and pasted that from a new station's website, so I guess they did in that truck. http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/1021991.html

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I heard about that this afternoon, my Ex lives in Kearney and was telling me about it.

Course there is nothing right along I-80 by Kearney anyway, just a bunch of sand pits from the building of the interstate.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, detcord needs an initiator(like a blasting cap) to fire properly. Same thing for the demo charges too.
    I KNOW blasting caps are to be transported separately from explosives.

Sapper should be able to set us straight on this if we're both wrong...

9. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jesus, I live right off I-70 on the CO./Utah border, they transport some serious crap down I-70 and I'm always worrying about spills. The disposal trucks go straight through here to Yucca Mountain with all sorts of nuclear energy/weapons waste.

[/ QUOTE ]

thought yucca was not ready to be open yet

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I thought it was open, just not approved to be the centralized diposal site. I could be wrong though, it's been known to happen.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Det cord is considered an explosive. Blasting caps and explosives are not transported or stored together.

John

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ok thanks for setting me straight. I'm not an Engineer/EOD guy so I leave that crap to the professionals. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif