Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Define 'slow hydro assist'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jun 12, 2006.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some of you may have read some of my hi-jack of KidJethro's post.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160735&page=4
    Can someone with hydro who has described their steering as 'slow' define it for me. Reason being,I'm still trying to figure out where the problem lies. I pulled out of a side turning today and it was so hard/slow to straighten up that I mounted the sidewalk and only just manged to stop before flattening a bus stop. Thank goodness there was no one standing there!
    So when you say 'slow' do you mean it was dangerous like this or just a bit sluggish?
    Tell me your tales of woe so that I may learn!!!

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

well lots of people h8 hydro assist for the road because there is not really any quick return in the steering wheel because of the ram.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Sounds too slow to me, but my assist isn't on yet.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like it shouldn't be that slow. Mine has been fast enough 99% of the time but when it was too slow, it can be scary. The other day, me and some friends were climbing this loose hill. My truck jumped over to the left and when I went to correct it, the wheel sure didn't move as quickly as I wanted it to. Also, kicking the ass end out takes a lot more planning. Trying to correct a slide can be almost impossible. I'm running a Rocklogic 1.5x8 ram with no other mods. Hope that helps.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Mine centers out just fine. Now if I try to turn really fast it just feels like theres alot of resistance at a certain point.

6. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

Well just got mine on- and it returns to center slow- its like to tease it back and fourth to find the center- then it tracks fine- sluggish no not on mine- just a teaser - sure makes a difference locked up steering- Jess

7. southernspeed

OK thanks. Judging by your replies I may have another play around with the pump fitting and see if I can improve flow a bit. If I can't it'll have to come off. I can't justify something potentially this dangerous on a rig that has to be driven to trails.
    That scared the hell out of me yesterday and I don't want to try it again!!!

Does anyone know if the feed from each tapped port on the box is a constant feed for each direction or is it related to how much you turn the steering? ie: turn the wheel to the right and the pressure from the box extends the ram all the way(so it's fighting against your normal steering control) or if you turned a 1/4 turn to the right, would a certain amount of fluid come out (pressuring the ram) and then no more until you turn the wheel more? (hope that makes sense!)

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

this is what mine does. it hasn't come to play on the street for me, but when I am trying to keep up w/ my buddies in the desert on the twisties i can't turn fast at all.

edit---I have a 2" tractor ram--not the best for mainly street apps.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Most hyrdo rams are either 1.5 or 2" dia. w/ 1/4" NPT ports. They are slow. In order to speed them up, you need to increase the flow. You are not going to do that with 1/4" ports and hoses. You may see some improvement in response time by upsizing the hoses and ports on your steering box, but your ram will still be the bottle neck. We are testing out a cylinder right now that is 1.5" bore w/ 3/8" ports. It seems to have a LOT faster steering response. We are trying to come up with a ram that gives you all the power you need from the hydro assist setup, yet maintain a factory feel in the steering.

My point is, you need to increase flow through your system if you want improved steering manners.

10. southernspeed

Thanks, I was kind of thinking in that direction but with the pump. I guess there's little point getting more out of the pump with the small orofices in the fittings restricting everything. Thanks for the insight.

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Post up when you are ready to sell it. Sounds like the setup I need...then I can go with a locker up front...

Wait til I tell the wife!