Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Define subcutaneous ....And whats the dif between CC's and ML's?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Mar 28, 2004.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Define subcutaneous ....And whats the dif between CC\'s and ML\'s?

I have to perform minor surgery on my goat beeeotch tomorrow and need to know how to give the shot of antibiotics, so is it just under the skin or into the muscle.....? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifDr. Fumes... Paging Dr. Fumes.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Re: Define subcutaneous....

Main Entry: sub·cu·ta·ne·ous
    Pronunciation: "s&b-kyu-'tA-nE-&s
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Late Latin subcutaneus, from Latin sub- + cutis skin -- more at HIDE
    : being, living, used, or made under the skin <subcutaneous parasites>
    - sub·cu·ta·ne·ous·ly adverb

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Oh an in the muscle would be intramuscular I believe?

I don't get it, do you own a goat?

When I owned goats we used to cut the hooves down with a circular saw...

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Just slip it into her drink like last time /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just slip it into her drink like last time /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Intramuscular, would be in the muscle, I figured it out, thanks guys, and yeah I do have a goat....I pimp her out to Bubba and he beat her up so I gotts ta pimp slap that mofo.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifNow I need to know the dif between CC's and milileters???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifDon't want to overdose her...Oh and Jim, you funny.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

lol goatgina HAHAHA

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Re: Define subcutaneous ....And whats the dif between CC\'s and ML\'s?

cc = ml

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

cc != ml

Practically speaking, they are equal but in in reality, they are just close. i forget which is which, but one is like 0.99999973 of the other.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks again doods....Anyone wanna come over and help hold down a goat while I have my way with her....? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just do it at the nap of the neck real quick like /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Just do it at the nap of the neck real quick like

[/ QUOTE ] hmmmm well lets seee here, I'm petrified of needles and there is no real quick with holding down a goat..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hmmmm well lets seee here, I'm petrified of needles and there is no real quick with holding down a goat.....

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok! First off don't panic and for crying out loud Man pull Yourself together Ya big pu$$y /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Your not sticking Yourself with the needle Your sticking it in the goat /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif When I say quick I mean like Ho slappin quick /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Just pinch the skin insert needle and do the injection should take no more than 1.5 seconds.
    Dont make make Me explain castration to Your simple mind /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one who's wondering why a man who doesn't know the difference between cc's and ml (no offense meant, when I opened this I was wondering where the subcutaneous was on my truck and why I hadn't had to replace it yet) is considering performing surgery?

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Antibiotics are usually given subcutaneously, which means just under the skin, often by picking up the flap of skin. Pull the skin up so it forms a triangle, then stick the needle in firmly and quickly into the center of the triangle (the needle would be stuck in the triangle in the direction of the head). Then inject the antibiotic not too fast).

Found this on a how to site:

I am having trouble with giving shots. Where is the best place to do so on a goat? This is a subQ (subcutaneous - under the skin) injection that I am giving. I think part of it is my nerves, but I can not seem to get enough loose skin. Once the needle even went out the other side of the fold of skin and I had to start over. I am worried because a little bit has oozed out twice now. Also, does the needle have to go all the way in? That is what I have been doing.

# I have been where your at! The first time I did what you said, some went through and I felt I was not finding enough loose skin. This time we went to a 20 gauge needle that is only 1/2 inch long and that really helped. The needle went in and did not come out. There are several places you can give the shot. Some do it up near the head - high on the neck. Others do it inside up high on the back leg so if they get lumps they do not show. Some use the wither area which is where I did it the first time. The most common area is in the loose skin on the body right behind the front leg which is where we gave it this last time. Many breeders do give those shots in the muscle as well but I have not tried that. I have been told that the reason it is suggested under the skin is because the vaccine was originally designed for sheep and it was under the skin so as not to ruin any meat (CD/T injections). I do not know if that is true as it is just what I have been told. Nonetheless, I followed the directions and gave it under the skin. The smaller needle made a lot of difference for us this second time. After a time or two you will get the hang of it.

# When giving anything under the skin (subQ), it is easiest to pick right behind the front elbow, over the ribs. Pull out the skin, forming a tent. This tent you are making will then have the needle inserted from the top side of the goat, just like you are crawling down into the tent, pointing your needle towards the ground. We teach the 4H kids with water and a nylon over an orange for subQ. For IM (intramuscularly) we just inject the orange.
    This is LA-200 that I am injecting with an 18 gauge x 1 inch needle if that matters?

# If I'm not mistaken, which I could be, I believe that LA-200 is given IM (intramuscularly). This antibiotic stings like... well, lets just say from personal experience and a bad aim you can feel it burn! I believe that Bio-mycin, another brand of this uses a different carrier which dosn't have the stinging agent. I usually use either an 18 or 20 guage needle. I tend to use the 18 gauge needles on more viscous liquids like Penicillin or Ivomec. On CD/T and other thinner liquid injections I use the 20's. Always check the label for routes of administration and dosages! (and don't worry.. 99.2% of the time, goats are not on it!) One last note - if you're using this to treat some kind of infection, which I'm sure you are, be sure to complete the treatment and at the right dosage or else it may not work the 2nd time around. For some problems, it is very hard to find an antibiotic that's still effective becuase of mis-use.

# Goat Medicine advises not to give any antibiotics IM in goats. I also do the same thing, except with prescription drugs and the only prescription antibiotic I use is Naxcel. I have had advice from my vet to use a first "loading dose" of antibiotics IM, then switching to subQ for subsequent dosages. If you think about this, if an animal is going to have shots for 5 days, what muscle mass are you going to move to on day 5 that isn't already necrosed from a previous shot? I think the subQ route is much more manageable for folks and definatly for the goats.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifNot surgery just have to lance a cyst....MMMmmmmm cyst should be lots of gooy yellow stuff, and as far as shots,I've given the cats and dog their shots but no one ever said subcu, they just told me under the skin so I was confused about what subcu meant and wanted to make sure.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

how the heck do you get ahold of pet shots??? Is there some do-it-yourself kit out there for hillbillies??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

19. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Cyst's...what fun. If my farm boy upbringing memory serves, you might want to put a clothes pin on your nose first, those things REEK when you lance them. Where do you get the supplies for giving animals their shots? Can you certify them for rabies afterwards or does that still have to be done by the vet at $100.00 a crack?

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You can get drugs and needles at the feed store, no good drugs though.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif