Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Definetally building one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 25, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [sarcastic] That four-wheel drive sure makes it a capable vehicle [/sarcastic] /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Good Lord! Look at that steering lift block on the knuckle /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What kind of mis-directed torque is running through that thing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is that one of those new light wieght racing driveshafts?

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I think so.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah this guy did a crappy job, I'll do a slightly better one... not like its hard to do much better. A front driveshaft would be like light years ahaed of him.

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

You can do everything you want to it, but it'll still be a Astro Van...........
    -fLeXy K20

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Would sure beat sleeping in the front seat on overnighters though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can do everything you want to it, but it'll still be a Astro Van...........
    -fLeXy K20

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah it would be and I am not an astro van fan but my buddy is a fanatic and no matter how much I tried to get him to get a K5 or a k10 or a k20 he just insists on the astro.

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Does that thing even have a frame under it or is it a unibody. ? I think I would be more inclined to put a van on a pickup frame then do the lift and stuff rather than rig something like that if it does not have a frame. That is if I would bump my head hard enough to WANT to do that, but that is why we live in America, /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif we have our freedom of opinions, no matter how bad they may be. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I Just have fun designing the stuff and all and yes it is a unibody. I worry about what we will do in the rear because the rear single spring is wierd and hard to replace. My friend keeps saying, just make new spring mounts and put blazer springs, he doesn't get that its a unibody I can't just weld some spring mounts to the body and say good enough.

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Looks like he's got a K5 behind it, at least. I alwsy thought the Astros were full-frame. Kind of like a truck chassis, that's why they are used for tow rigs a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like he's got a K5 behind it, at least. I alwsy thought the Astros were full-frame. Kind of like a truck chassis, that's why they are used for tow rigs a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope they are part unit body and so are the half ton FULL size vans built up to about 96. Camaros as well..ALLL ofthem. They have a front subframe and unitbody back. The newest may be all unitbody.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no just a front subframe. the rear spring mounts are semi beefy but they are on the body. The older ones(like this one and my friends) have a plastic or fiberglass rear single spring which sure rides nice but you can't put blocks on it or replace it easily. www.overlandvans.com sells replacement springs and they have lots of lift kits for Astros, 2wd and AWD versions.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Looks like he's got a K5 behind it

[/ QUOTE ] Bet that's where the axles came from. Good idea for the stock 1/2 ton axles after ya upgrade to 1 ton in your real wheeler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Whoops, thanks for enlightening me, fellas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif