Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Defroster on AC trucks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 7, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is there a common failure that causes the defroster door to not open on AC trucks? Mine quit this year and so did my friends. This is one of the few systems I haven't touched on my truck...the vacuum AC switching device. Can someone explain to me how it works?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had a good post about this a while back. I'll try and find it for you......

3. Can Can

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thanks, you're the man!

Something about me being at basic training last year when you discussed this is why I never saw it covered. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm honestly going to have to rip into my truck to find this door. I've had the heater box out but I only remember the door on top of the box that switches with the wire from hot to cold. This is a vacuum line that acutally run to the heater box itself, correct?

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*start of hijack*Hey Paul, you know I still haven't fixed that stupid thing? But I've got the dash all torn apart at the moment so I think I'll pull that apart tomorrow and see what I can do. Guess I'll check with the dealer to see if there's a replacement before I go jerry-rigging something.*end of hijack

While I'm in there I'll take some pics and post 'em...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't be hijacking my thread unless you have something perverted and exiting to heterosexual males to share. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Like pics of the Olson twins. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

ski girl? i didn't knew there was a girl member on this site *happily surprised*

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ski girl? i didn't knew there was a girl member on this site *happily surprised*

[/ QUOTE ]

There's quite a few more, too.

9. Can Can

The main diverter door is on the front of the hot/cold mixer box. It is hidden from view by the black plastic ducting. If that door isn't closing all the way then a lot of the airflow will be escaping through the vents before it has a chance to travel to the floor/defrost diverter.

Yes, the main door is controlled by vacuum and a spring-loaded hinge. Once you get everything apart the post I linked you to will make much more sense.

10. Can Can

You still haven't gotten that clip, eh?/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif My replacement clip is still sitting in my "MISC." tool box. Thankfully, I haven't had a reason to go back under the dash since I did the intial repair.

Make sure you take some pics, Pam. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

As Paul said, its relatively easy. I pulled mine all apart and had it back together within 45 minutes or so just b/c the ducts are a pain to work with. The clip costs 94 cents at the dealership. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Nothing like having a perfectly functioning A/C system /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Good point 84!

And yea, there are a few girls on the site. I think we did a count a year or so ago. Maybe a dozen of us. Good odds I think. 12 girls and all you guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lady_Bog is my personal favorite. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif