Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

degree wedge for a six inch lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Danswift79, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

a friend of mine just lifted his 79 blazer zix inches and he needs to know how many degees he needs in the wedges for the front. He has already lowered the T-case and it didn't help. How many degrees have you guys needed. I don't know what brand his kit is so I can't give you that info. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

2. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Degree shims are cheap, I'd buy a few sizes and experiment. On my Jimmy with a four inch lift I had to use about 4 or 6 degrees to get the vibration to go away, but I think the spring perches on my axle had been moved by the previous owner before I got the truck. Ultimately I bought a set of 5" lift blocks and had them machined at the angle I wanted because I couldn't find a single degree shim that was steep enough and I didn't want to stack them up.

3. Danswift79

Danswift79 Registered Member

thanx, do y'all know where I can get some either online or from a certain parts store?

4. my previouse blazer had a 6 inch lift and I ran 2 1/2 degree front shims with a dropped t-case. It fixed the driveline angle but I had scarry bumpsteer at highway speeds due to the change in caster

5. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Any parts store that deals with 4wd / truck parts should have them or be able to order them for you. Online you could try 4 wheel parts wholesalers or truckperformance.com... Look at the advertisers in any Four Wheeler or similar magazine.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The best way to figure it out and get the right shim the first try is to use a digital inclameter. We use these at work when we get a vibration complaint...allthough semi's are a lot larger...and have more u-joints and shafts...the process is the same. Also if the angle is not right on a semi...it will tear the rear section out of the main transmission...a costly repair. When we did my 79...i think we used a 2 degree shim...but memory eludeds me at this hour. I will bring home and scan a paper we use from rockwell that gives step by step measurements and how to calculate the readings. The whole idea is to keep that u-joint in its happy 3 degree window...also we have a couple of new programs where you can take the measurements and then apply them to the program on your puter and it will do all the calculations...i'll see if i can get my Foreman to make a copy or two....lol.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban