Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deisel Legend..fact or fiction in reguards to Chevy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Jan 8, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious to know if it's true about Deisel engines running better/longer than gas....Thinking of maybe fixing the parts Blazer: it has a Deisel with a rebuilt tranny....So, I want to know if it would be worth the time and money.........? Whats the scoop on Deisels, good? bad? are the stories true about deisel engines running forever? any probs????? thanks y'all!

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My truck originally had a 6.2. They are the worst light truck diesel on the road (assuming all the 350 diesels are in the junkyard). The only advantage they have is milage, I used to get about 20 mpg when the truck was stock. Parts are expensive for them, they have no power, and don't last as long as other diesels. Mine was more or less done at 165k miles. I'm much happier with the TBI 350. The 6.2 (and even the 6.5 turbos) aren't even in the same league as my Cummins. I really had a hard time buying a Dodge truck, but was to lazy to try and find a Cummins and a Chevy to do a conversion. I prefer to think of it as buying a Cummins that just happened to have a Dodge rapped around it.

6.2 = Turd Muffin

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

well I guess that just about wraps that up.......

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I was afraid of that.....So!!!....Anyone want a engine/ tranny out of an '86 Blazer??? :)) Anyone know of a good price for these??

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The 6.2 does have good torque and does get good mileage: imagine a suburban pulling down 24mpg on the highway. The rule of thumb is nearly double.

<font color=red>However</font color=red>, They like to blow head gaskets, they're hard on those poor early 700 trannies, they're tempermental to start in cold weather, blow smelly smoke, leak oil and make a lot of noise. Most people who own them would be willing to trade them for a gas 350. The 6.2 <font color=blue>Die</font color=blue>sel can be made to run almost forever, but so can the gas small block.

Let's think about maintainance and operating costs real quick. The Diesel needs a new tranny about every 60,000miles. Let's figure that to be $1200 for labor and a rebuild. If gas and diesel are both $1.50 a gallon, a gas truck will cost $7500 to run 60k miles @ 12mpg and a diesel truck will cost $4100 @22mpg for a savings of $3400, which is more than enough to cover your repairs. Hmm, that's interesting. Whenever you fill up, just toss another $20 in an envelope for repairs. Then when your head gasket blows or your tranny goes south, just open up the envelope to pay and still be ahead.

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

the trans might be good, you might want to hang on to that. What is it anyway?

only one problem with those calculations, around here gas is $1.50, and diesel costs between $1.80 and 1.90, just an observation.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by shaggyk5 on 01/08/01 12:40 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 with the 6.2. Yes they are kindof slow, but mine seems to have decent acceleration around town because of the low end torque. You most notice the lack of power at higher speeds, such as merging onto freeways, but I've driven worse (I'll race a mid 80's carbed 305 Blazer anyday : ).
    I have over 100,000 miles on the vehicle with no major repairs to the engine and the tranny still shifts fine. It also puts out very little smoke, just a faint puff of black smoke if you floor it.
    The vehicle is now a dedicated trail rig the diesel really shines off-road. All of that low end torque is great when going over obstacles, and again the only time the power suffers is if you are running mud bogs all of the time.
    Now after all of that, I would prefer a fuel injected 350 as a daily driver but would think long and hard about whether to get the 6.2 or 350 for a trail rig (if I was to start over).

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    An old girlfriend of mines father had a 83 3/4 ton p/u with a 6.2 diesel. He had 750,000 DOCUMENTED miles on the original engine, never had a rebuild!!! The truck had a 4 speed(original) that was so warn out that you just threw the shifter in the general direction of the shift and it clunked in. In 1999 he finally bought a new chevy. The dealer was amazed at the mileage and contacted GM. GM offered him $10K trade in on the '83 for the truck and his story. He kept the truck and told them he might think about getting rid of it after he breaks a million miles.

Luke
    84 K5

9. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I recomend you give the 6.2 a chance. It'll never approach the performance of a Cummins or Powerstroke but it works well in somthing like a Blazer. As long as you maintain it properly it should last. I have 200k on mine and it still runs like a champ. It used to be fairly slow but it kept up with traffic, at least at sea level. At high altitude an NA diesel is absolutly gutless (my first trip over Loveland pass was an education). Ive since solved my power problems with a Banks turbocharger. As for Diesels eating automatics I've heard many storys but my original 700r4 lasted 180k miles. Thats without a turbocharge, we'll see how it does behind a turbocharged 6.2. A good auxillary oil cooler goes a long way tword making a 700r4 last.

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Some GM diesels are good and others aren't. I believe that the 6.2 is the problem engine. If this is the engine that is in CUCV's and early HMMWV's I have had nothing but problems with these.

11. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I was a GM wrench for alot of years. I own 3 GM diesels right now. The biggest problem that I saw with GM diesels over the years, is people don't take care of them! And then they bitch, and blame GM. GOPHERKILLER

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have to say that the HMMWV's that our unit has (10) have never had an engine failure of any type..these are the old ones, TH400/6.2 liter diesels. Not only that, not sure how many during the gulf war were 6.2, my guess is over half, and there were no failures attributed to the trucks design, whether structural or drivetrain, for the conflict. I guarantee those trucks were driven extremely hard at times, but just shows what regular, scheduled, thorough maintenance can do.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

For info on the GM diesels, visit the Diesel Page:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com>http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com</A>

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

14. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just curious, how many miles do your units hummers have on them. Most of the ones that I have used in Desert Storm, Somalia, Bosnia, Germany and in the States have had many problems, even with maintenance being done according to the -10, lube order and maintenance manuals. True, more than half of the hummers that I've used(probably over 50) have had no major engine problems, a large number did. I know this is a bit off the subject of the post, but there are more problems with the hummer(including wheels falling off) than I ever saw with the CUCV's.

15. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    The hummers we had only had 5K to 8K miles on them. Almost all of it was off road, these were not Colonels chow wagons. They were not too bad. The problem we had was once we got a bad engine( 50% of the time glow system related 50% hydrolock) they would not fix it till it blew chunks. The mechanics would just tell us to take it out and blow it up (after disabling the govener)

Luke
    84 K5

16. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yea...there are people who support the Diesel in a Blazer!!! My Diesel..probably runs BAD..I get 27 mpg and is slated for 400,000 mi before repair....thats my guess..but I have seen more!! The only problem I have seen is if you don't maintain it it breaks!! Otherwise I think it kicks a$$!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

17. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

diesels have their advantages and disadvantages. a non turbo diesel is slow as sh*t, and good luck trying to start it on a cold day. but it gets extremly good gas milage compared to a gas engine plus you can burn #2 home heating oil in it and not pay the road tax wich saves a ton of money and diesels do last a very long time

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of them have about 3000 miles on them. The worst problems we have are dead batteries, but that appears to be due to people leaving the lights on, etc. I hate driving the damn things, that 6.2 is noisy, and when the fan kicks on on the freeway...man, you may as well be deaf. Personally, I think the HMMWV is much more capable than the CUCV it replaced....OFF road. The CUCV's were designed from the outset to be street legal, and thus handle much better, and are much better in the comfort aspect. They should never have dropped the CUCV's, but made them on-road, non combat drivers only, and the HMMWV's off road/combat only. Engine wise, our CUCV's never had a problem either. Both still the 6.2's. And neither are really slugs if you manually shift them...the governor in the diesel 400's shifts WAY too low.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

19. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

For the most part, a CUCV can keep up with a HMMWV off-road as long as you have a driver who knows what he's doing. I passed up quite a few stuck hummers in the mud and sands of Iraq while headed north in my CUCV. My brigade motorpool rigged up une of their CUCV pickups with a small lift, HMMWV tires and a roll bar. If the rest of the army would have done that, then maybe we wouldn't have needed the hummer at all, or at least in smaller numbers. The hummer is a horrible helicopter tow and support vehicle, I would have traded back for my CUCV any day.

20. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

NYC K5:
    I don't have any trouble starting my Diesel 6.2? If you have working glow plugs and plug it in it fires right up. Now if you don't plug it in you have to be careful not to fry anything while tryin to start. I ETHER started my K5 for 2 months cuz I didn't have working glow plugs. Never a problem.

I don't know about running that #2 heating oil...I think you lose too much MPG so its not cost effective. I don't know this for sure...I might try some...you just have to watch the law cuz its not really legal to do that!!! If they check ya and it comes out red....hehehe...your butt is toast.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!