Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delay wipers - need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldk5, Jun 10, 2001.

1. baldk5

baldk5 Registered Member

my delay wipers are frigged. the wipers work at one speed, to get them to park at the bottom of the windshield, i have to twist the knob all the way back. they worked fine untill i took the engine out last fall, the have been driving me silly since then. could it be the switch on the steering column(it took an awful smash from an angry moment)? the turn signals still work, the cruise controls all work and the high-beam still works. any help would greatly appriecated.

2. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Just went through this myself after putting up with them not working for 4 years. In my case it was simple. In the engine bay, there is a cover on the top half of the windshield wiper motor. Remove the wire connector and take this cover off. Once this is off, you'll see a plastic piece to take out, I believe this is what the connector was plugged into. On the back side of this part is a contact. Use a meter and make sure that this contact makes and breaks good. Mine wasn't, even though it looked like it was. This contact rides on a cam on the wiper gear you can see inside where the contact was. Once I cleaned it up and re-installed, the wipers worked like they should. If this is working good, I guess something might have got messed up in this wiring during the engine swap. Hope this helps.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 206,000 and counting now

3. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Reading the post on the interior light/cig plug/horn problem today, it was mentioned to make sure the ground strap under the hood was connected back up....or can cause multiple electrical problems. Just a thought.....and yes it hurt.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

you can get a replacement park switch pretty cheap, I would try that before the switch.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

5. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

I have this exact same problem, I found this post by seaching for "wiper help". The one working speed, the turning the handle all the way back and having to time it just right, everything you had desrcibed. So I was just wondering if you tried mattman's idea and how it worked. Man this site is great...

-mxmastermike, the 4000th registered user

6. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

actually come to think of it my horn, cig plug, and interior lights dont work either. what is this "ground strap under the hood" of which he speaks?

-mxmastermike, the 4000th registered user

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem and fixed it the same way that Mattman describes.

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

You might try checking the fuse, as the horn relay, cig. plug and interior lights are on the same circuit.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

9. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I'm glad it helped. It drove me nuts for a long time and all it turned out to be was a dirty contact. However, I couldn't have replaced the switch without Twitzid's explanation of changing out the switch.

P.S. Weird but my cig lighter doesn't work either but the wipers do.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's, D.O.D.
    84 Bronco II 210,000 smoking and going.........

10. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

mine also do something similar, except mine will work on high or low, but no delay, and the only way mine will go off is to turn the switch off, and the i have to shut off the ignition, or they just keep on wipin
    so i have to time the shut down of the engine with the lowest pointon the wipe, this can be fdrustrating, but with my squirrley front end problem, this is one i can live with. i will however get that cover off and try and clean up those contacts
    it is amazing the wealth of knowledge at this site
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I guess I'll have to try that too... I have to pull my switch back and time it right to stop em... Does this happen on all blazers?? It looks like most of us here have 89 &amp; 90.

I'm not late im on Central Standard Time