Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delay wipers non functional

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tch777, Oct 7, 2003.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Yep I turn on the wipers for delay wiping and they just trun on and run like there are no delays, and then won't turn of unless I turn it to the mist setting. We replaced the module under the steering column and that didn't fix it. So that leaves the motor or the mulifuction switch. Where would you put your money on the switch?

Thanks

Tim

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing. It pissed me off to no end. After searchin on here and asking someone told me to adjust the bolt that comes out of the top left of the motor. I just fiddled with it and for now it works alright. The wipers are real slow though so I might just replace the motor anyway. But yeah give that a try.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

My wipers do the same thing. I also have ghost wipers every once in a while. Right now my motor is so weak that the blade only go half way and get stuck grrrrrrrr then I have to stick my hand out and fix or shoestring it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Do a search on it supposedly our wipers have some pretty bad electric problems especially if you have a tilt steering wheel. It pinches some of the wires in the steering column

4. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

On 87-up trucks there is a little black box under the steering column .Pull off the plastic peices on each side of the column .It kinda looks like a mini stereo amp with a wire harness coming out of it..This is what cured my wiper gremlin .I think it's called the wiper delay servo..good luck......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Ok I just read that you replaced the delay servo..(dooh).......... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Sorry to revive a thread from the dead... but my '85 K5 is doing something similar and I can't help but think maybe it is the delay module as well.

The wipers don't work at all in the delay positions, but they work fine when I turn them to the full "ON" position.

Does that sound like the delay module to you guys? Is there any way to check it before buying a new one from the dealership ($57) or should I just take a chance and try to return it if that's not the culprit?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If anyone is willing to check this against a truck manual, I'll scan the '88 Camaro delay wiper troubleshooting section, including flow charts. At least 10 pages of just troubleshooting, and mechanics of the system beyond those 10 pages.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I replaced the module (and everything else in the steering column) when I tore it apart because I didn't want to have to disassemble the steering column again. The module didn't fix it. It turned out to be the box under the hood.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

the delay wiper on my 85' just stopped sowking too! Could it be the switch?

10. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Take the cover off the motor. See the circuit board. It pulls straight out. Resolder the connections (cold solder joints) where the connector for the wiring harness mates with the board.
    Don't remove the red goop.

11. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take the cover off the motor. See the circuit board. It pulls straight out. Resolder the connections (cold solder joints) where the connector for the wiring harness mates with the board.
    Don't remove the red goop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of us were you replying to? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I was replying to all the intermittent problems. Ghost operation, no park sometimes, delay not working, no shut off. I had all these symptoms and resoldering did the trick.