Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delay wipers...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Sep 20, 2003.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am at a loss. My delay wipers don't work, but low and high work just fine. Any ideas???

This is really driving me nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

No one has had delay wiper problems before?

Its an 86 GMC K3500.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Could be alot of things but I would bet it is the circuit board that is in the wiper motor. AFAIK you can only get a new one from GM (rebuilt wiper motors do not come with it).

But first you need to check that the correct voltage is getting to the circuit board. Unhook the 4-pin connector that goes to the wiper motor. You should get 12V to one in Hi 12V to another in Lo and a lower voltage in the Lo one when you have it set for intermittant.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The timer works on a RC (resistance * capacitance) time constant. So a broken wire in the control circuit or an open rheostat will make the time constant infinite, which means the "delay" bewteen wipes will be forever... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So also check to make sure that the resistance in the circuit really is variable. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif