Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delay wipers??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kustom71, Dec 6, 2003.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever retro-fitted 73-80 style truck with later(81-87)or any other style delay windshield wiper controls?I hate having them constanly going?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I dought it will work because my 76' C30 has a switch in the dash and my 85' K5 has the delay switch on the turning lever in the steering column. You would probably need a late model steering column and that would open up a whole new can of worms unless you could somehow wire it to work with the early dash switch? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

My 82 Silverado has the delay on the dash so it might be easier to switch them.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

84 went to column control wipers, 83 is still switch on dash

if you swap entire cab harness then you could use 79 style delay wipers in a truck with 83-older column

hope that helps

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Somewhere between 73-80, GM changed the wiper switch mounting setup. Say, for instance, you have an '81 delay setup, and a '73 truck. You'd have to cut the gauge bezel (black plastic) to fit it, and I believe the mounting screws are in a different location as well.

I've seen it done, but the later dash mounted switch looks bad (I mean the dash looks bad) when the black plastic is cut up, as the holes on the earlier bezel have raised edges. IIRC, the later switch when bolted into an earlier cab will sit down and to the right from the stock one.

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to switch a newer ('87) one over?