Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delayed steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80blazer, Mar 17, 2001.

1. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

I think this has been beat into the dirt befor and fixed with the steering box brace,but I was wondering I plan on putting a reese slid in hitch mount on the front of my truck would this solve the flexing of the frame at the steering box. Just wondering
    Jeff 80blazer

Its time to lock them in!

2. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Those ORD Braces look like toys to me. I'm planning on doing some mearuring and getting some steel welded in. Boxed frame, triangulation, whatever it takes. Have fun!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Something else will give long before a good frame (not already cracked) with the ORD brace does. That brace, given the direction of stress and flex, is way more than adequate.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

If I connect the frame together with the reese hitch will that solve the problem. Just wondering
    Jeff 80blazer

Its time to lock them in!

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Honestly, I'm not sure. The ORD brace actually bolts in with the frame sandwiched between the brace and steering box. I've never seen the hitch but I suspect it bolts to the bottom of the rails which might help but I think that might still let the box crack the frame side. Just a guess though.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I thought my frame was flexing too but my delayed steering was caused by warn draglink ends. I put new ones on and saw no differnce but after about 2 days it was really loose. I just had to wait for the new grease boots to set and then I retightend the nuts. I have almost instant response now.