Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*DELETE* issue is taken care of-thanks for advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

MTPockets was selling 4.56 gears and I told him that I wanted them. I told him they were for my Blazer, that has a 77 GM 12 Bolt Rearend. I payed for them through Paypal, and received them almost 2 weeks later. I paid $90 shipped. I took the gears to my mechanic. He told me he needed me to get the crush sleeve and bearings and all that stuff. So I go to a 4x4 shop and tell them what I need. The guy told me that my gears didn't look like they were for a 12 bolt rearend. I called Richmond Gear and gave them the part numbers for what I had. They told me the gears are for a CAR 12 bolt. I have messaged MTPockets and he has not responded. What can I do? HELP!!! I'm PISSED /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

Re: Member Ripped Me Off--What Can I do???

i almost bought all his stuff from him.he sold his truck,and all his parts,so he probably dosent come to the site anymore.not much you can do, but lick your wounds,and put them on ebay,and try to get some of your money back.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

to bad he doesn't live near you, you could beat him with the pinion shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Did you try emailing him? flk519@hotmail.com

5. Troopie's Tonka

...hmm...well, florida really isn't too far of a drive, I go there sometimes to visit relatives /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I don't like being lied to, I don't like being cheated, and I don't like incompetent people in leadership positions. Those are my 3 biggest hates. He covers 2 for 3. It's almost worth the $100 worth of gas to stop by his place for a beer, give him his gears back, and come back home empty handed. hehe.

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

gainesville aint that far from me,if you come,let me know,ill have a beer with y'all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifhonestly though,its possible he bought the gears used,and didnt know they were from a car rear,but maybe he did,because he was running 3.73's and 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont know him personaly but I have bought stuff from him and talked to him enough to know he is a good person.I can say he did not intentionaly sell you something other than what was advertised or than cannot be used in your application.He is rarely here anymore but he does pop in from time to time.

Why dont you try talking to him and getting all the facts before throwing out someones name and calling them a crook over a possible honest mistake /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Troopie's Tonka

Ok, maybe I was flying off the handle a little bit. The bottom line is that I am pissed. Pissed because I thought I found a good deal and now it is just turning out to be more expensive (just ordered what I needed from 4wp for $300). So basically fixing my rearend is almost $400 for parts, not to mention what I am paying my mechanic. An expensive lesson. PLUS, my truck has been broken since Jan 1st and I am VERY eager to get it running. (deployed Feb-Oct so I couldn't work on it then). So now I have to wait another week or so while I wait on the right gears.
    Now I am trying to sell my other truck to get something else, and had planned on parking it and driving my tonka, well that won't happen for at least another week.
    Anyway, I messaged him and emailed him and have not got any response yet. I was polite and offered him the benefit of the doubt in case it was an honest mistake.
    here are the facts:
    He knew I wanted 4.56 for my truck, here is a message sent by him---
    "sam, the gears are in excellent condition...ready to install in your 12 bolt gm axle. however, you will need to change the front gears to 4.56 in order to operate four wheel drive, but this should give you a head start and save you a few bucks in the process. total shipped to 29843 SC is $90. my paypal account is flk519@hotmail.com.

thanks,robbie "
    Also, supposedly the gears were only installed for 100 miles? Hard to believe. He shipped the gears in a box that was for 3.73 gears, not even the box that the 4.56 came in. If they were so new, why didn't they have their own box?
    I'm not accusing the guy of murder. I just want the right gears or my money back. Well, even the right gears now won't really help me out since I have some on their way.
    Here's what I'm thinking (not trying to accuse him of anything, just trying to use the "reasoning" portion of my brain---He wants 4.56 in his truck. He buys the gears used from someone else, and gets ripped off. There is no way you can install these gears in a GM 12 bolt truck axle, so by saying they were installed for less than 100 miles is b.s. Also by saying you are selling them because you couldn't afford to put 4.56 up front is b.s., cuz now he has 3.73 front and rear...so, he's pissed, cuz he got ripped off, but he wants his money back. And that is where I come in. Like I said, I am hypothetically thinking here, no hard accusations.
    But as far as the name calling and throwing stones and stuff, yeah, I guess you are right. I'll chill for now. I just wanted to know from all you senior members what I should do to rectify the problem. All of your help is appreciated. However, if weeks go by and I don't hear back from the guy, I will do what I have to do, in a civil manner.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

good call, Matlock /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Coarse, because of this post you can't do the same thing and sell them to someone else /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think when making posts like this you should stick to "What do i know for sure?" and post nothing more. Conjecture, conspiracy theory's and all that crap will do nothing more than create un-needed friction when the other party sees this post.

Do you know for a fact that Rob knows that there are two very different 12 bolt rear diff's...the car 12 bolt and the truck 12 bolt?

Can you say with 100% certainty that the box the 4.56's came in originally didn't just get wrecked?

Here is what we can say we know for sure:

You and rob agreed to exchange money for 12 bolt GM gear set

The gears arrived, but were for the wrong type of 12 bolt.

You're having trouble contacting Rob.

That's it, the rest is crap, hearsay, conjecture, etc etc.

Now, if the gears showed up in bad shape, or missing parts, or not at all I'd say you have more to complain about but to me this looks like it could just be a mistake, and probably an honest one at that. I don't recall ever seeing Rob swap rearend after rearend into that truck, so it's more than possible he thought a 12 bolt is a 12 bolt...

My two cents.

Rene

12. Troopie's Tonka

trustyK5:
    First off, I want to tell you that your 2 cents are worth about half of that, but I do honestly respect your opionion.
    Now, aside from conspiracy theories, here are the "what do I know for sures"...
    He advertised leftover parts from his k5rawlwer, which is a blazer...you can see that by going here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/88397207krdJCJ
    ...then, when you double click "for sale" by going here:
    http://thumbs.webshots.com/s/thumb4/0/0/3/88400003Kcwptw_th.jpg
    ...you see that in fact, he is advertising these parts as leftover parts from his blazer project. Then, when you open the link, you see that he says, "Richmond Gear 4.56 gear set. all shims and sleeves...installed and run for less than 100 miles. (could not afford front gears and install)"

Could not affort front gears and install...in what? a Nova?
    Now, where does that leave us? With the facts. The facts are that this guy knew what he was sending me wouldn't fit in any Chevy truck axle. You can tell by the picture, look at the shaft on that pinion bearing? It is tapered, no GM 12 bolt truck pinion shaft is tapered like that, only the car axle pinion shaft---which, I didn't know before, but now I do. So, I can FACTUALLY say that he never had these gears installed in his blazer, not for 100 miles, or 100 feet. Those are the facts. So where does that leave us? Well actually, I am the only one screwed here, so that doesn't leave you ANYWHERE except defending someone that has my 90 bucks and isn't willing to respond to my email or messages.
    Whether or not he knew the difference between a car 12 bolt and a truck 12 bolt? Well, honestly, I didn't know the difference before this experience, but come on, he said they were installed and run "less than 100 miles". So you are telling me that he is winning on a technicality huh? Because he didn't specifically mention that the gears WEREN'T installed in a blazer? Get off your horse buddy..YOU need to know the facts.

13. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

i have to agree with tonka, this kinda thing does happen especially over the net. i ate 50.00 bucks on a driveshaft in a similar case. but live and learn. the guy knew he was getting out of the scene wanted to get rid of the parts, can't exactly sell them to his buddies so he sells them on the net to strangers. two tears in a bucket f$#ket,....what are you gonna do? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. Troopie's Tonka

MTPockets has offered to refund me for the parts. I apologize for hyping this thing up. I am sure you all can understand my position though. He's not a bad guy. Obviously, it was an honest mistake on his part, or a misunderstanding on my part. Everything is going to be taken care of though. Sorry for ruffling your feathers TrustyK5, and anyone else that I may have offended. I really lose my temper when i think I've been ripped off. Not that I am any better than anyone else, but to me, every dollar I earn was earned by sweat and blood, and i don't like handing those drops out to anyone.

15. tRustyK5

Troopie,

Sometimes you gotta chill a bit, and wait for all the info. I wouldn't defend the guy if I thought he was a rip-off artist. When I read the post I assumed there was a misunderstanding somewhere, not an attempt to purposely rip you off. Rob was a member here for a long time...

Glad to hear it got sorted out. Now if you'll excuse me I got some feathers to unruffle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Glad to hear it got sorted out. Now if you'll excuse me I got some feathers to unruffle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    HEY!! what you and your wife do in your spare time is none of our business....!!!

17. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Be nice Grant or I'll tell everyone you struck out with the blonde at the campsite...oops /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

18. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

So I take it he didn't get to sleep in the "big house"?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hey hey hey.....
    nah, i didnt get any. but i did sleep in her bed the last night i was there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif comfy bed. she and i still talk. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but its nothing more than that.
    Grant

20. tRustyK5

You're such a gentleman Grant...you should be ashamed of yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene