Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Delete please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am about to replace the ignition switch in my truck and I forgot to read the manual about it when I was at the parts store.

I have the steering wheel puller already and the ignition switch. What is the process for replacing the switch. I am about ot do this so ASAP.

Thanks
    Harley

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Ignition Switch Replacment?\'s ASAP

The ignition switch sits on top of the column behind the bolts that hold the column up on the dash. It's about a 10 minute job.

If you're talking about the lock cylinder it's a little more involved. Pull the steering wheel, turn signal switch, some other stuff, and then there is a little pin that holds the lock cylinder in. If you stare at it long enough you'll figure it out. The most difficult part is not ruining the turn signal switch or losing the itsy bitsy contacts.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Ignition Switch Problems?\'s ASAP

Problems

My lock cylinder isn't bad like I thought but I think it is the piece the cylinder goes into.

When I turn the key on it won't give the ignition power and it doesn't do anything. No dash gauges, no fuel pump, no starter, etc

Harley

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I take it that the rod that the cylinder moves to go down to the ignition switch doesn't move?

If you have tilt steering there is a piece of cast pot metal that sometimes breaks. If that's the case... put in a different column. I had this experience a long time ago. I think the post would've been made when I was "wrathORC" though.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had this problem once too and after I had replaced the ignition switch and a few other things I bagan to check the power source. Yurned out that the wires on the starter were shot so I replaced them and wham, it fired right up.

Truck had started fine all day and then it just didn't want to go anymore. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif