Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

delete please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 1, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Post deleted by R72K5

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: steering column electrical switches

If i'm not mistaken the only switch with an adjustment is the ignition switch. They are pretty self explanatory when adjusting them too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is any adjustment; just R&R.
    Is there a specific problem you are having?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

neutral park switch is very adjustable my stepdad just went through ths on his 81 k10 and the 67-72 manuals show adjustment of the switch too

i cant recall ever seeing anything about adjustment of the ignition switch though, so hmm

to adjust the safety switch you have to insert an 1/8" pin into the switch assembly somewhere and loseen the screws up that hold it to the column housing down there and do something else i forgot what

i cant remember the details is all

i hope somene here knows what im talking about and can help, if not then i dunno what to say or do, i just hope that theres at minimum a limtied number of ppl soemwhere on the net who know what im talking about and know info on this

if not then i give up in short order, i dont know what else i can do, cant find a damn chevy truck for the life of me around here anymore, not one thats worth a damn and actually runs or has a body that can even hld itself together, isnt anything left anymore,

i think im gonna be homeless and in jail- for the first time ever- by the end of this week coming up so it wont all matter anyways probably, and if so then my lifes about over probably hopefully finally cuz im tired of it all, been nothing but total crap for two years now everythings been going to hell for this long i have no way to get back on my feet now im screwed, beyond the point of return, never gonna see the old me again its long gone, poof, life is compelte opposite 180 degrees of what i was hoping and dreaming of, and only getting worse extremely quick, cant find any real work, live in the totally wrong location for who i am and what i can do, cant reach any of my dreams with being stuck in these damn cornfields, tired of it all, outlook n life is negative now, used to be great, but thats gone
    screw it all, have nbo chance now,

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think there is any adjustment; just R&R.
    Is there a specific problem you are having?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes the key switch doesnt crank the starter,

you have to jummp some wire at the white box thingy on driver side fender by the starter solenoid in order to crank and start the diesel

i bet not a single person on this entire forum knows anything about GM diesel starting systems or where to find out info on them or who knows anything about them.

thats the way it seems!

thats why this truck will end up scrapped most likely
    i wont put up with it for long, just too much damn trouble

thanks

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

your correct. only the neutral safty switch is adjustable. i'm doing this right now all you have to do is just slide it to the correct position for park. if it's out of wack all you havr to do is turn the key to the start position whike sliding the N/S switch when it starts to crank to know your in the correct spot. and the neutral position will also be correct.

it sounds like you either have a ignition switch problem or a selinoid problem

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

R72K5--I think I know how you feel--I am unemployed also,living at home with my 76 year old mother who is slowly dying of emphesema--I quit my last job ten years ago to care for my dad who had parkinsons disease--he died 4 years ago,my mother had him sign over the deed to a house lot he had next door that he said he wanted me to have while he was on his deathbed--the land was sold,now there is a 300,000 dollar yuppie castle where my last shot at having anything in this world was--she sold the land,over 2 acres for just over 80 grand,she was offered over 150 grand 10 years ago,to put it bluntly she got screwed--and none of the money is coming my way,but my younger brother has gotten 3 new cars in the last ten years free from her,he gets his gas tank filled,a free meal and groceries every thursday night when he comes to take her out(he moved out as soon as she got sick,and does nothing to help me)--am I bitter--hell yes,she treated my dad like [darn] his whole life,and was very cruel to him while he was dying,and it looks like she's doing the same to me--I have to cater to her every whim,take me here,there,everywhere,and all I get is a few dollars now and then,which I refuse most of the time,so I dont have to listen to the "after all I do for you"speeches. I am now 46 years old,with rotted teeth and scoliosis of the spine,and had surgury 3 years ago to remove a cancerous testicle,now I can hardly fix my own junks,nevermind working a real job 8 hours a day--I'm nearly broke,have nowhere to live after she dies,and now it appears the state is going to end up owning the house because she found out my late uncle had an insurance policy in abandoned property--and she filed to become the executor of his will(since my dad who was died)and now the state informs her she owes them 36 grand for his medicare costs,so they will probably put a lein on her house--after I spent 10 grand building a nice garage here because Ithought I'd own it someday--now I cant do half what I would like to,because Mr.Yuppie next door doesnt like it. I really feel your pain man--I know all about everything feeling negative,by the way my best daily driver blew its motor friday,like I dont have enough to worry about.So dont feel alone--my life sucks buffalo balls now too--I have no clue how I'm gonna make it in this world either! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sorry everyone,for the long post--I didnt mean to make a soap opera of this post,but R72K5 sounds like he could use a little encouragement,and so could I right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Whoa... easy there....
    Your right, I know jack sh*t about a diesel but I assume the column switches are similar. The "adjustment" in an ignition switch is lining up the gears from the switch to the teeth on the rod. When the ignition turns it pushes a rod down engaging a switch which ultimately energizes the engine start circuit. However, the contacts from the park/neutral (or clutch) safety switch must be closed. And on diesel, I imagine a glow plug switch is tied in there somewhere.
    As far as the adjustment on the ignition switch... the gears have to mesh just right in order for the rod to be pushed down far enough to engage the switch. It's a real pain in the *ss.
    That should give you a couple things to check out for now.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Whoa... easy there....
    Your right, I know jack sh*t about a diesel but I assume the column switches are similar. The "adjustment" in an ignition switch is lining up the gears from the switch to the teeth on the rod. When the ignition turns it pushes a rod down engaging a switch which ultimately energizes the engine start circuit. However, the contacts from the park/neutral (or clutch) safety switch must be closed. And on diesel, I imagine a glow plug switch is tied in there somewhere.
    As far as the adjustment on the ignition switch... the gears have to mesh just right in order for the rod to be pushed down far enough to engage the switch. It's a real pain in the *ss.
    That should give you a couple things to check out for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok sounds like its just too much, i think im just gonna let the truck go scrap, i dont know anything about diesels and ive never really serviced ignition switches and dont know what all switches and stuff are on this truck with it being diesel, where they are or anything, i know there should be the resources i need soemwhere on the net but i cant find them so i give up.

i dotn feel like dropping another oclumn and having to fiddle with it and end up not even being a problem on the column, cant find out if switches are same or differ from gas to diesel, cant find a damn thing out, so i dunno,.

thanks for your time